Front suspension lift

As we all know the GT40 wasn’t designed around ground clearance.
The UK is a lover of terrible roads and speed bumps, let alone my driveway which I have to go up a slope to get to the garage.

What I’m wondering is whether any of you have run lift kits for the front end?

It would’ve been good to run it all round for my scenario to ensure clearance of the top of the slope on my drive, however I don’t feel on the chassis there’s enough space to fit an air/hydraulic cup over the rear struts and springs. The front end however doesn’t look like it will have problems fitting it.

I saw RCR used to offer a hydraulic lift system and a of the SLC guys run it too.
A friend uses this on one of his cars, it’s not designed for driving when raised but is handy for humps etc. Can provide up to 40-50mm lift.
However it takes up 30mm of the strut, meaning the suspension will have to be wound down lower etc to offset this or shorter spring springs/different rates. I’m not sure how much height adjustment the struts come with in the first place . . .
It also will only lift the maximum that the suspension droops, so if the spring rates are hard then it won’t even lift that much as there won’t be much travel in them anyway.

I would plan to run it tankless due to space issues, I know it’s not exactly period correct etc but usability wise it’s pretty damn helpful. I think the cars look amazing when they sit at race esque heights which isn’t possible on the road. This could be a good workaround?

Thoughts?

Joel K

Supporter
Chris,

Here is another option. Most RCR builders use this system, although I think a few more recently selected stanceparts. Also, with the exception of one builder, it is normally just put on the front.

Chris,

Here is another option. Most RCR builders use this system, although I think a few more recently selected stanceparts. Also, with the exception of one builder, it is normally just put on the front.

Hi Joel,

I’d seen this one but it’s much more expensive than the stanceworks kit!
You’re likely to be able to drive along on full extension on it though due to being hydraulics with a lock out valve unlike the stanceworks which isn’t designed to be driven at full raise.

I’m interested to see if anyone has fitted to a non RCR build and real world what sort of lift they get and whether were any issues installing etc.

Last edited:

Joel K

Supporter
I did a quick search and saw that Ron McCall was planning on using it on his GT-R so he may have some feedback on it. I would send him a private message,

I wouldn't run it tankless as one of the challenges will bee too slow lift speed. One of the things I like about the Stance system is very quick lift times.

I would plan to run it tankless due to space issues, I know it’s not exactly period correct etc but usability wise it’s pretty damn helpful. I think the cars look amazing when they sit at race esque heights which isn’t possible on the road. This could be a good workaround?

Thoughts?

Hi Chris, I'm actually in the process of installing a Stanceparts system on my GT40. I am doing a bit of a custom build, with my own compressor in the front (next to the brake booster). Also going tankless, simply because there is no space. However, I am using a massive ARB double motor, double piston compressor. I feel it would take to long to lift the car to be practical.

I'll take a few pictures of my current setup (the pneumatic system and plumbing). I'm awaiting the delivery of a custom set of 'air cups' by stanceparts that is on its way. They make custom diameters for your spring size, to make sure its not too bulky, and the spring centers nicely.
Its also a very affordable option to be honest. 4 air-cups (front and back) cost me 650 EUR.

Jasper

1589780980411.png

This is the compressor I installed. Powerful, reliable and compact. Did the calculations together with Stanceparts, and should lift in 2-3 seconds on all 4 corners.

Jason has it in his RCR GT40. goes up and down quite quickly when on the road and moving. we crossed a bumpy rail road crossing at pace and he was able to lift it up before we crossed without having to back off from the speed limit.

View attachment 106867

This is the compressor I installed. Powerful, reliable and compact. Did the calculations together with Stanceparts, and should lift in 2-3 seconds on all 4 corners.

That’s a good lift time for 4 corners tankless!
I was just speaking to a friend who has it on his and tankless on the supplies pump it took 10 seconds for his. Lol. Far too long.

What chassis are you installing it on? Nice to hear they will sell you a custom kit to fit the springs. Did you just purchase the cups only from stanceworks then the rest elsewhere?
If you could send details/pic etc of your install it would be appreciated!

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris, will take some pictures this evening and post them here. I'm installing it on a CAV GT, stainless monocoque-ish design.
They made a custom set of pistons, to the springs that I had. I just bougth the cups from them, the compressor from a 4x4 place, the plumbing and solenoid switches from a pneumatics company.
You end up with a much nicer system if you do it that way. Higher quality fittings and switches etc.

Fairly straight forward otherwise. The big game-changer for this quick tank-less system is the massive capacity of the compressor. I did have to run a big cable to be able to supply 2x40A fuses (40A each motor in the compressor)

Hi Chris, will take some pictures this evening and post them here. I'm installing it on a CAV GT, stainless monocoque-ish design.
They made a custom set of pistons, to the springs that I had. I just bougth the cups from them, the compressor from a 4x4 place, the plumbing and solenoid switches from a pneumatics company.
You end up with a much nicer system if you do it that way. Higher quality fittings and switches etc.

Fairly straight forward otherwise. The big game-changer for this quick tank-less system is the massive capacity of the compressor. I did have to run a big cable to be able to supply 2x40A fuses (40A each motor in the compressor)

Sounds like you worked it out well.
Look forward to seeing your pics. I’m assuming you’re going for a one button lift all 4 corners at once setup, rather than F-R control.
40A is a pretty hefty fuse.

Ron McCall

Supporter
As Joel mentioned, I used it on my GT-R build and I built a customer's GT-R at the same time with the RamLIft Pro. The only benefit with the RamLift is that you can adjust the height slightly or all together. It is very slow moving and also expensive. The best parts about the Stanceparts system is that it only takes less than 3/4" when it is at rest ( meaning that you can use the standard length springs) , it is extremely fast ( if you don't install the regulator, it is nearly instant! it will scare you the first time ! LOL) and it is less expensive. I had tons of room in the GT-R so I mounted the tank and compressor in the passenger footwell and covered it with a nice aluminum footrest.

Ron

Neil

Supporter
If a compressor & air tank system is used for front-end lift, it can also be used for a very loud set of air horns. I did this on my '65 Pontiac GTO using air horns from a US Army 2 1/2 ton truck. Small fast cars need big loud horns.

Solenoids are mounted behind the fuse box/air-box section of the CAV.
IMG-1447.jpg

Then finally, the bulkhead mountings front and rear. There will be some fittings and small sections of hose from there to the actual air-cups.
IMG-1448.jpg

IMG-1449.jpg

Did I mention I'm busy with a revamp of CAV #22 chassis (18jrs old)? Some sections look lovely.. others look.. well.. 18yrs old ;)

Solenoids are mounted behind the fuse box/air-box section of the CAV.
View attachment 106877

Then finally, the bulkhead mountings front and rear. There will be some fittings and small sections of hose from there to the actual air-cups.
View attachment 106878
View attachment 106879

Did I mention I'm busy with a revamp of CAV #22 chassis (18jrs old)? Some sections look lovely.. others look.. well.. 18yrs old ;)

Thanks for that, gives a good insight into sizes of the kit etc. I think I could make that work without an issue.

Haha the joys of taking on older projects eh!
When you get the kit up and running if you could post a video it would be appreciated!

Jason has it in his RCR GT40. goes up and down quite quickly when on the road and moving. we crossed a bumpy rail road crossing at pace and he was able to lift it up before we crossed without having to back off from the speed limit.

I think Jasons might be a hydro version. Not sure which lift kit he has.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Just thinking aloud here.
Do you have a roll cage / large diameter tube roll over bar?
Could that be double purposed to also be an air tank?

ian

You could do that.. and in reality you could make a small long cylindrical air tank and install it above the steering rack for example.
For me it was also a matter of low-complexity installation, keep everything as clean and minimal as possible. A tank doesn't fit that criteria :)

Will let you know how it goes when car is back on its shoes, and system is operational.

I would just fit a soada stream gas bottle then and paint it up like a fire extinguisher. Use that as your reservoir.
wouldn’t even need to have the onboard pump if you charged it up before you left home.

Back