Front tire poke at zero toe and zero camber

Joel,

I did some very rough preliminary checks of my front tire fitment last night. I am running Nitto NT05s and my fronts are 275-30ZR19. These overhang the rims slightly just like your first set did and protrude past the body at zero camber. (sorry no pictures, left my phone in the house last night). I cranked the top control arm all the way in (which achieved an obscene -3 degree camber) and the tops pulled in well inside the fender well. This also creates a major amount of toe in that I cannot adjust out without modifying something (the rack tie rod ends are adjusted all the way in on both sides). I do not plan on running anywhere near this amount of camber though. I think your 255 front wheel choice is spot on. I am hoping that I will not need to replace my 275s. Once I do an initial alignment and suspension setup I'll have a better idea. Right now everything is very rough setup as the factory put it together. I also need to get my body fitting better. The factory did not cutout the floors in my tub and it is currently sitting about 1" off of the chassis, this is messing the spider location up badly. Need to get the Camaro and GTO out of my shop and up to the house so I have some more room to work in order to fix that. Will do that once it stays warm here in NW Ohio. Still getting cold at night.

Joel K

Supporter
Joel,

I did some very rough preliminary checks of my front tire fitment last night. I am running Nitto NT05s and my fronts are 275-30ZR19. These overhang the rims slightly just like your first set did and protrude past the body at zero camber. (sorry no pictures, left my phone in the house last night). I cranked the top control arm all the way in (which achieved an obscene -3 degree camber) and the tops pulled in well inside the fender well. This also creates a major amount of toe in that I cannot adjust out without modifying something (the rack tie rod ends are adjusted all the way in on both sides). I do not plan on running anywhere near this amount of camber though. I think your 255 front wheel choice is spot on. I am hoping that I will not need to replace my 275s. Once I do an initial alignment and suspension setup I'll have a better idea. Right now everything is very rough setup as the factory put it together. I also need to get my body fitting better. The factory did not cutout the floors in my tub and it is currently sitting about 1" off of the chassis, this is messing the spider location up badly. Need to get the Camaro and GTO out of my shop and up to the house so I have some more room to work in order to fix that. Will do that once it stays warm here in NW Ohio. Still getting cold at night.

I think you will be good with the 275’s since Cam and Johan are using those on the 19” rims and they look really good with camber set and a little trimming of the inside fender well. I selected Michelin Super Sport Run flats and did to want to mix/match run flats on the back which fit really nice with non run flats on the front etc. The two Sizes I could have went with were 245/35/19, 25.8” tall and 9.8” wide, or the 255/30/19, 25.1” tall and 10.2” wide. I chose the wider tire, but probably will need to settle on 4.25” ride height, with the taller tire you could get 4.5” front ride height with the wheels nicely centered vertically in the body.

Last edited:

Joel K

Supporter
Joel,

One other note, the 285/30/19s stuck out .8” wider than the rim. When I added 1.5 degree of camber the tires appeared to be .25”-.33” too wide on top. So if your tires are sticking out .5” or less from the rim I think they will fit good with camber dialed in.

One other note, the 285/30/19s stuck out .8” wider than the rim. When I added 1.5 degree of camber the tires appeared to be .25”-.33” too wide on top. So if your tires are sticking out .5” or less from the rim I think they will fit good with camber dialed in.

Joel,

Thank you for those dimensions. Went out to the shop "after work" today and measured. My tires only stick out 1/4" from my rims (front and rear are the same) so I should be good. That is good to know!

2020-04-01 16.44.07.jpg

This is with the -3 degrees of camber. I'll probably settle on around -1 degrees.

2020-04-01 16.44.19.jpg

I need to order tires and I noticed that the recommended tires for 19x9.5/10" rims have not changed from 285/30/19. Was there a final determination as to why the recommended tire size would not fit? I'd like to run the Pilot Sport 4S, but they don't come in 285/30/19, so I was considering the 275/35/19.

Joel K

Supporter
I need to order tires and I noticed that the recommended tires for 19x9.5/10" rims have not changed from 285/30/19. Was there a final determination as to why the recommended tire size would not fit? I'd like to run the Pilot Sport 4S, but they don't come in 285/30/19, so I was considering the 275/35/19.

Troy, my recommendation is do not buy 285/30/19. You run the risk of the tires not being mountable on the rims and have your rims finish ruined as well as having too much tire poke. Others have had the same issue. The 275/35/19 IMO is too tall.

If you are sticking with the 19” rims, try to find 275/30 or 265/30, they would fit well. I went with 255/30 for the front although I think 265/30 or 275/30 is a better choice.

Last edited:
Troy, my recommendation is do not buy 285/30/19. You run the risk of the tires not being mountable on the rims and have your rims finish ruined as well as having too much tire poke. Others have had the same issue. The 275/35/19 IMO is too tall.

If you are sticking with the 19” rims, try to find 275/30 or 265/30, they would fit well. I went with 255/30 for the front although I think 265/30 or 275/30 is a better choice.

100% agree. Definitely do not order 285s, a ruined finish of the front wheels is all you'll end up with. Plus tires TireRack won't take back. True story.

I got the email yesterday from Bill to purchase my tires for RCR which sounds promising. However, after reading this thread 4-5 times now, I wanted to stay out of what Joel called the “Wrong Tire Choice Club” :)

I am debating between the MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4S which have great ratings but are pricy and Pirelli P Zero's or the NITTO INVO's which both have strong and very similar ratings to each other but not as great as the Pilot Sport 4Ss. However, they are also less expensive.

In the end...it came down to Availability. I called around and it was EXTREMELY difficult to find these sizes in these tires OR ANY TIRES for that matter.

Tire Rack came through. I called them vs looking on line and the guy at Tire Rack was able to find me :
  • Front – 265/30ZR-19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S XL - Had only 2 left in inventory in Nevada
  • Rears – 325/25ZR-20 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S XL - Had many in inventory at the HQ in Indiana
Note - the 275's for the front are out of stock and not going to be replenished (at least that is what the Tire Rack guy said his system says) so I went with the 265s that they had to source as their last 2 out of Nevada. Although he said they do show a few single 265s around the country right now but going fast. The Rear 325s were in stock at the HQ in Indiana.

The good news is that both sets shipped today from their locations to be onsite at RCR tomorrow.

Based on what I read in the various threads, it sounded like the 275s may be a bit wide for the front so I'm hoping the 265's will fit perfectly. We shall see...

They had to be placed on sperate orders so the The Fronts will ship from Nevada with expedited shipping to arrive tomorrow afternoon while the Rears are coming from the headquarters in Indiana and arriving in the AM

Joel K

Supporter
Here are some pics to compare. Turns out the 285s work on 10” wide rims but not on the 9.5 rims. so 265s will be right between mine(blue) and Johan’s car(Red).

275 on what I think are 9.5” rims…
E5545EFF-BEAE-48ED-949F-B0571C1E131A.jpeg

255 on 9.5” rims…
6D1BDE77-C221-402C-833B-30411D833543.jpeg

Stephan’s car with 285s on 10” Rims…
7C7DBEB3-9D55-4AF8-96EF-CCF23F22FD0B.jpeg

Last edited:
Here are some pics to compare. Turns out the 285s work on 10” wide rims but not on the 9.5 rims. so 265s will be right between mine(blue) and Johan’s car(Red).

275 on what I think are 9.5” rims…
View attachment 121710

255 on 9.5” rims…
View attachment 121712

Stephan’s car with 285s on 10” Rims…
View attachment 121711
This is a great post Joel. When mine get mounted and put on the car with the body on I will get a picture to add to the above for other folks to see

Last edited:
Back