fuel filter(sock) on fuel pickup ?

Hi, was wondering if a sock filter that is on most oem fuel pumps would be enough of a filter on the pickup tube before the firewall mounted fuel pump. I was thinking of using a ductfoot fuel trap made by ATL fuel cells that Randy (Big Foot)had made note of in earlier post thanks again Bob

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Bob

The main problem with filters on the pickup tube in the tank is;

1. They can clog and cause fuel starvation without you being aware and it becomes a major exercise to remove them just for checking and cleaning which will need to be done on a regular basis.

2. In tank filters prevent the debris from being drawn out of the tank allowing the debris to accumulate in the tank.
Without the filter on the pickup tube all the debris is constantly being drawn out of the tank and captured in the external filter keeping the inside of the tank as clean as possible

IMHO the best place is external to the tank and before the fuel pump.

Also it is advisable to use a filter that has a glass/see through bowl so it is possible to visually see the amount of debris in the filter and also if you get the correct one they act as water traps for any moisture that may develop in the tank.

Makes maintenance much easier and allows cleaning before it gets clogged and leaves you stranded.

Most boat chandlery stores carry these filters in a range of types due to the dirty and wet environments they have to function in.

I tend to be a bit paranoid when it comes to blocked fuel passages and injectors and so on my 40 it has been fitted with a primary filter/water trap straight from the pickup tube which then feeds into another filter prior to the low pressure pump and after the high pressure pump another fuel filter before the fuel rail to the injectors.

Experience has taught me you can never be too clean when it comes to fuel.

Dimi

Dimi

Back