Fuel pump fuse keep blowing..... HELP!!!

Andrew

Supporter
Chaps,

I’m having a few gemlins with my 'bought built' Tornado ’40, the latest is it keeps blowing the 20amp fuse that the fuel pump(s) run off.

It all started the last time I took the car for a spin, I hit a bump (possibly coincidence) the car started to splutter and I eventually ground to a halt, got recovered home, traced the blown fuse and replaced that, the pumps sprung into life, happy days I thought! Alas no, the pumps prime, I turned the key and the engine cranks and then the fuse blows. I ran out of 20 amp fuses so tried a 25amp….the engine cranks and doesn’t fire, the fuse gets super hot so I pulled the fuse and called it quits.

Anyone shed any light on maybe there to start looking? I’m afraid electrics are black magic to me, I’m more a fabricator!

Many thanks! Andrew

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Number 1, don't try and overcome the problem with a larger fuse.
A few questions first.
What kind of pump are you using ?
What are the spec requirements for the pump ? Look it up!
Fuel injection, yes or no ? Higher fuel pressure will require more amps
Look for intermittent grounding in the circuit.
In most cases the fuel pump is run of a relay, and an inertia switch.
When looking at this check wire size vs current requirements.

Hi Andrew,
If I recall correctly, this is John Cohen's old Tornado and is carb-fed and the Tornado supplied loom.

As Bill said find out what the pump should be drawing and what else is on the same fuse. Try putting a temporary separate feed from the battery to the pump via the rated fuse and see if that works and also make sure its got a good earth direct to the chassis. John originally had dash wiring issues as there were earth lines missing

Hope this helps

Regards,
Andy

Andrew

Supporter
There's thankfully been some forward progress on this issue resulting in narrowing the problem down to the dash loom. Cue pulling the dash out and roping in a friend who's a very skilled electrical engineer to dissect the entire loom and make good / better / rework / upgrade where he can. He's found a bad earth and a couple shorted wires caused by poor routing & subsequent chaffing.

I'm glad the fault(s) have been found so onwards and upwards! Looking forward to getting the dash back in a week or so

Back