Fuel Tank Liner

Neil

Supporter
Nice video, thank you. I have never used urethane but years ago I built a Sabel sports racer and lined my fiberglass over thin aluminum fuel tanks with polysulfide. It worked just fine- no leaks but I'll never forget the smell of that stuff.

Interesting concept but I'm curious as to what the benefit is.

If it's there to act as a barrier to protect the tank itself from the damaging effect of todays fuel then perhaps it's a benefit but I wasn't aware that aluminium (aluminum) was detrimentally affected enough to require a barrier.
Obviously no benefit from fuel spill as the foam does that and I can't see it providing any kind of sealing effect in the event of piercing the tank.

Also, I'm not sure I'd be OK with relying on the fuel tank being sealed by such a large gasket and cover. A fully welded tank with a small removable aperture for the level sender seems a bit safer.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
That is some pretty cool stuff! I can definitely see some other uses for it as well...

Pat

Supporter
Interesting video and I'd see that this type of application would be great for aircraft. My concern with it would be it's ability to take a crash impact. I don't think it would deform like a fuel bladder could and possibly fail in a big way during a crash situation.
gt40-crash-tests-p.jpg

Based on what he says in the video and his comment section he’s using it for puncture protection. I’m sure a real fuel bladder would work better than this but I guess it would be better than just an empty aluminum tank like a lot of guys run.

Based on what he says in the video and his comment section he’s using it for puncture protection. I’m sure a real fuel bladder would work better than this but I guess it would be better than just an empty aluminum tank like a lot of guys run.
I am going to run my alloy tank empty... Cause foam blocks and modern ethanol blended fuels don't match. It realy makes a mess through the whole fuel line system.
Haven't found a company who can garanty thats his safety foam is ethanol blended fuel compatible.
Had that discusion with SouthernGT also and he wasn't sure also.

Its like fuel hoses, most still sell SAE30R7 or less rated while you should run SAE30R9 to cope with modern fuels

Howard Jones

Supporter
The above video when watched is a commentary on the dangerous side saddle fuel tanks on GT40s. In a head-on into the barrier or a front corner into a barrier the tire is forced rearward and into the front of the fuel tank, compressing it and the fuel inside and forcing it up and out of the fill tube and filler cap.

This video was why I stopped tracking my GT40 and built an SLC.

The above video when watched is a commentary on the dangerous side saddle fuel tanks on GT40s. In a head-on into the barrier or a front corner into a barrier the tire is forced rearward and into the front of the fuel tank, compressing it and the fuel inside and forcing it up and out of the fill tube and filler cap.

This video was why I stopped tracking my GT40 and built an SLC.

damn, really don’t really want to crash a 40!

Back