Gabrielle Giffords motorcycle rider

Anybody know much about the BMW in the picture with Giffords ? My dad had a R75/5 that made a big impression on me in my youth. Mom and dad were divorced, and dad picked me up one summer day riding in from Chicago for a big trip.- from Shade Gap, Pa where we lived, up through New York state's Catskill and Adirondack mountains, crossing over at Ogdensburg, NY (check out the Frederick Remington museum) in to Canada over and down through Michigan (Kellogg cereal plant in Battle Creek) and into the Windy City. That was 1972 I believe and motorcycle touring was really in it's infancy - the bike had a bolt on Windjammer Fairing and Wixom hard saddlebags - no factory tourers back then. The cycle's 750 cc's was about as big as they got back then. What a great motorcycle. Not beautiful as most BMW's aren't but hey, it followed the German credo that "form follows function". This 11 yr old kid loved it.
That bike was extremely capable hauling both of us and all our camping gear ( we stopped at a campsite every evening ) without nary a wimper and it was a special experience with my dad that stays with me to this day. Just thought I'd share the memory ;) ...

Last edited:
Back