get the air out of brakes.

Rune

Supporter
I filled my brake system with fluid and used a vacum unit to replace the air, but it did not work I replaced and there was no air bubbles.Then I used pressure to push out the air , still it feels like full of air no brake pedal at all. I have Wilwood calipers 4 piston with bleeder on both outer and inner. I have been alone and know that I have to get someone to help me. But I feel that something is not right, but I cannot point on something. Does this feel familiar to some of you ot there ?

Rune.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi
How high are your reservoirs? They should be higher than the calliper or you will need residual valves to stop backflow.

I also found raising the rear of the car 18 inches when bleeding the rear helped get the bubbles to move along the pipe and out at the calliper!

Ian

Bill Kearley

Supporter
I used 2 PSI Wilwood residual check valves. A little grease around bleeder with a Qtip to stop air entering, pump up vacum to the max then crack bleed screw. This will overcome the check valves.

Rune

Supporter
Thanks guys. I had a visitor in my garage today , he told me the same, so residual valves(2psi) are ordered from Rally design in Uk. Hope this help.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Yup, You have to bleed both inside and outside top nipples. The best is to start with the farthest wheel from the master and work to the closest. That is the story from the old days before dual systems, but still holds true thinking that the front is one system is on it's own and so is the rear on it's own.

Rune

Supporter
Funny this. I belive everybody with gt40 must have seen this problem sometime, I have been in gt40 busines for 13 years now, but never observed this. Learn something every day. :)

I had to do 'extreme bleeding' once when I first built my GT40. A 1-litre can of fluid was connected to the master cylinder. The can was pressurised to 3psi and then the nipples were opened one by one, starting with the furthest. The slave cylinders were primed off the car first, to get as much fluid into them as poss before bolting up. Another last-resort was to mount the slaves in a temporary high position above the normal mounting points to get the slaves as high as possible, with blocks between the pads to keep them compressed. I have also learnt to keep the flexible lines as short as possible to keep a hard pedal. Gunson's Eezibleed kit will give you the parts you need. Good luck,

Tony.

Back