Good source for carbon fiber / epoxy supplies?

Mark B.

Supporter
Some times YouTube is way too dangerous! I want to try my hand at fabricating some parts (intake ducting, vent ducts, etc) out of wet-laid carbon fiber and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on a good place to get the basics (3K carbon cloth, epoxy resin, release agent). There are so many places out there (including Amazon) so just looking for advice on where to get decent quality without breaking the bank -- particularly since I'll probably through half of it away while I practice.
Thanks!

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
Only buy brand-name epoxy resin. There's a handful to choose from, but I've had good experience with West Systems and Total Boat. Alan, who has built 20+ SLCs uses Total Boat. Both he and I are located in the North East so we buy our composite supplies from Jamestown Distributors because they are close by. They don't have large selection of carbon fiber.

Unlike, polyester resins which have a shelf life of 6 months, epoxy resins have a long shelf life so long as they remain closed and are stored properly. That said, I always buy resin, hardener, gelcoat, etc. from a reputable distributor that does a lot of volume. Always purchase fiberglass and carbon fiber that isn't folded. The folds weaken the fiber a bit and can ruin clear-coat carbon fiber aesthetics. The best way to ship it is wrapped around a cardboard tube.

Kyle

Supporter
I buy total boat epoxy as well. Super clear, sets as it should, they supply the precalcukated dispensers with their kits as well.

With that being said, that’s for anything I expect to be seen and want clear.

For any other epoxy, poly, fiberglass, carbon etc. supplies, I buy from UScomposites. Cheap and good quality. Carbon comes on rolls. Situated in WPB here in south Florida, I wouldn’t doubt they are a major supplier of a lot of marine yards down here.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Check these guys out. They came highly recommended to me although I’ve not yet made a purchase from them...

I've used a few. Last batch of epoxy I purchased was West 105 and 207SA. I recently purchased more epoxy from Soller Composites, but not happy with it. It keeps getting milky looking instead of clear, unsure why. I gave up on it and bought more epoxy from https://compositeenvisions.com/. I've purchased peel ply, asorb mat, fabric, etc from them in the past and been happy.

Mark B.

Supporter
Anybody know of a good way to prevent yellowing of the resin due to UV exposure?
All the references I've seen either say to use a UV-inhibiting epoxy like Total Boat Crystal Clear or apply a protective clear-coat on top of the epoxy. I'm interested what others have experienced though!

I've done some digging on the SDS and as much chemistry as I can find regarding UV inhibitors in resin and clear paints, I really have drawn a blank as it doesn't seem to be something manufacturers publish. "Yes, there are UV inhibitors in 'X', but we won't tell you which paint/resin "X' has it or how much." is as far as I've gotten. I'm planning a lot of exposed clear composite resin, so this is definitely something I'm interested in.

second the experience with US Composites - have bought poly, epoxy and fiber from them, never had a problem.

Back