Good time at the DVSF

We met up with Hershal last Sunday at the DVSF last weekend. Only one GT40 was there! Lots of neet Cobras. Hershal stopped at our place on his way home ( Columbus, Ohio to Phoenix,Arizona > 2000 miles!) where I was able to pick his brain and photograph the inside of his car. This should shave weeks off my own build. He also let me drive it through some of our twistier back roads. Wow is all I can say. Have a safe trip back Hershal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 39837-Hersal Byrd behind the Benz.jpg
    39837-Hersal Byrd behind the Benz.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 297
Arrival

Attachments

• 39838-front,rear, and spyder in the piano room 005.jpg
    39838-front,rear, and spyder in the piano room 005.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 282
Hey Hersh,

A "little birdie" told me that you had a rear main seal go

at the Fling. Sorry to hear that! Kinda hard to turn good

times with an oiled clutch! I hope that you get it squared

away soon!

Bill

Hersh,
When you get a chance can you send some pictures of the top of your doors where they close.
Thanks for shareing your wonderful car.
Nathan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Looks like fun, but do you have a pic of Hersh's ride going down the road with that cool tear drop trailer behind it?

Hershal left it behind because the air conditioning was in-op. He did have a trailor hitch installed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was at the DVSFIV and had a great time...must say it wasn't much of a drive as I live in Columbus! Met Hershal and we yelled at each other over the noise of the Dyno for awhile...great car! Must have one to compliment my Cobra.

Attachments

• 39885-P1010004.JPG
    39885-P1010004.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 318

Pete K.

GT40s Supporter
...and thanks for letting me "try on" your GT40. At 6'4" it was a tight fit; but move the pedals forward and drop the seat an inch or so and I'd be fine!

Wow ,,,so many compliments, who ever this Hershal fellow is ,he must be one heck of a nice guy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Also I think the new RF's come standard with a extra inch with a dropped floor pan, if thats what ya need pilgrim.

It was a loooong haul back. I took a few days to rest before diving into the e mails and answer some posts. I really had a good time at the Fling. I met a whole bunch a nice folks. After the Fling I was invited to Rolf's home to stay the night. I followed him back to his home in Oxford, Ohio. Two of his sons, Christian and Eric were with him and they took turns riding with me in the GT. It was nice that they got to see what the GT was like on the rode. I think they liked it and it may have spurred some enthusiasm to help Dad get theirs done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
While at Rolf's home I got the chance to see his work up close. Let me tell you he has really done a super job on this build. I remember when he asked about doing the paint himself and recommended that he try it. Well he did. He actually signed up for a PPG seminar and learned gobbs about the 2 pack system. I can't say enough about how well his paint work came out. It is definetly YELLOW. I think it's Viper yellow. anyways it's YELLOW. The rest of the build is coming along nicely. It will be one of the nicest GT's out there when complete.
Rolf and I took my GT out to some really neat twisties and had a ball. Rolf was driving and he was being gentle so I told him to get a little more aggressive. You ain't gonna break it. Well he started getting into it a little more and was really carving those sweepers up. It was neat to see how quickly he started excelerating out of the apex.
After a nice visit and a fine turkey dinner I had to leave the next morning. I was heading back up to NW Indiana to visit my old stomping grounds. I visited old friends and even went to a couple cruise nites at the local drive ins.
I left on Friday headed back to Phoenix. Around Tusla I hit a thunderstorm so bad that most folks were pulling of the road. The visibility was bare minimum. The good news is I had no leaks.
Everytime I stopped for gas it was showtime. I think there must have been a hundred photos taken of my car. Several times there were cars that would pull along side and take pictures. Some with their cell phone cameras. I had no idea those cameras were that popular.
Bill, your little birdie was right. I do have a very minor leak at the rear of the engine and it does get on the clutch some. It' wasn't bad enought to repair at the time. I used one quart of oil on the whole trip.It may well be a rear oil pan gasket as well but I will soon find out this week.
Nathan, if you send me an e mail I will send those photos you want. Let me know the angle you want me to shoot and what you are trying to see.
Yes, I had to leave the trailer at home cause the @#%*!@ A/C didn't work. Man! I wanted to take that trailer bad. Here is a photo of it hooked to the GT.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 40165-GT & Teardrop RF view.jpg
    40165-GT & Teardrop RF view.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 288
Back