Goodyear sportscar specials (big letters)

Anybody tried these on a SPF?

I would have sworn that I'd seen a photo of one with them, but I can't find it.

I bought a set, and they look fantastic!!!....except the fronts rub so badly that my turning radius would be about 300 feet :(.:cry::furious:

I don't think raising the car will help. Lowering might, but my front is already at 4.5 inches.

Before I dismount the tires, I'd like to see if anyone else has found a way to use them.

Rich,

The tires are the standard "cobra" setup. Same as I had on my Kirkham...26.5 diameter, for 8 inch rims up front, and 10 inch in the back.

The problem is at the rear of the wheel well.

From the Roger Kraus Racing Web Page

TIRE SIZE BRAND PRICE DOT DIA T.W.
Section
Width DRY WET WHEELS
B 26.5X8.0-15 GOODYEAR 276.00 N 26.2 7.9 11.0 on 8.0 7 8 7.0 - 9.5

B 26.5X10.5-15 GOODYEAR 276.00 N 26.7 10.2 12.9 on 9.0

Attachments

• IMG_1957.jpg
    IMG_1957.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 420

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ron,

Those fronts equate to the 255/60 fronts lots of guys run on Cobras. The GT will only handle 225s or with some tires, 235s. I know we mounted some Goodyear GT II 255/60s on a MK II just to make it roll for a show and the tires hit at half the steering lock.

The Avons commonly used in the front are 225/60.

These Hoosiers worked well for me.

Attachments

• DSCN1367.jpg
    DSCN1367.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 301
  • DSCN1369.jpg
    DSCN1369.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 245
  • DSCN1370.jpg
    DSCN1370.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 274
  • DSCN1372.jpg
    DSCN1372.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 247
  • DSCN1374.jpg
    DSCN1374.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 259
Bud,

I was looking at the Hoosiers, as they are more reasonably priced than the Avons. All I really want are track tires, I have a second set for the road.

I see that you have a GTD, I wonder if there are any SPF owners whove tried them...just worried about fit.

In any case, it looks like I'll be able to send the Goodyears back. I was worried about not being able to return a set of tires that never made it off of my driveway.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Could it have been my car, Ron? (not an SPF as you know)

As you can see the other issue is the rear on a CAV......

Attachments

• DSCN0286.jpg
    DSCN0286.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 771
  • Engine.JPG
    Engine.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 458
Pat,

I suppose it could have been your car, I've certainly seen it a few times. The tires still look good, too!

The hoosiers feel great on the track and are very sticky. These sticky tires really help the braking and I have had good life out of them. I would recommend them to anyone who is doing track days. A lot of Cobra guys use them and I have seen them used on Super Performance GT40's as well as on numerous other cars. If you look at the pictures you can see the tread depth. This is after 2 weekends at Willow Springs. The pics are of the tires as they left the track. Ron I sent you a seperate e-mail about these.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Ron,

I have used the Avons and been very pleased with both the grip and the wear life. I have an extera set of the GoodYear stencels if you still want that Goodyear look.

How's it going with your DMV problems?

Jim,

I've heard good things about the Avons, and may eventually gravitate to them. I'd like to try some less expensive options first, but will go with whatever works best. I may even try out some slicks, as this set of wheels and tires won't be used on the public roads.

Thanks for the offer of the Goodyear stencils, not sure what I'll end up with just yet.

Haven't been back to the BAR...survived with temp op permits until recently. Will probably try my luck at a different location in the next week or two. I have spoken with a number of people in the know who say my problem is silly, and due to a "rogue" official. We'll see. I have someone who is going help "walk me through" the process, so I have my fingers crossed.

I am on the third set of tires on my GT on the once never ending quest to find the ultimate ride and handling. Hoosier TDs, treaded Goodyear Sports Car Specials and now finally Avons. Ahhhhh.... Those wonderful Avons. I had them on my Cobra and knew the quality, but feared there would be a huge fit issue on the CAV. The gamble paid off as they are slightly smaller than both the 26.5-9.5 Hoosiers and the 26.5-10.5 Goodyears. The fit is in fact perfect and the ride amazing. Save yourself the cost of experimenting and go with Avons!

On another note....Pat, if you happen to read this, can you tell me what springs you are running front and rear on your CAV? Mine are as low as they can be adjusted and still a bit too tall for me.

Thanks, Dave

Back