Grab the flag PANNONIA HU

Hi

have been in hungary this weekend ( friday to sunday) for full 3 days of racing with my EGLI SUZUKI.

Had a great weekend, meeting again a lot of mates after the winter brake.

DUe to the work on the GT i have not done much on the racebike. Just modfied my replacement engine to find out how it will run without the balancer shaft and a rebalanced(50% balancing factor) crankshaft.
It developed litte vibrations in the solid footpegs up to 6000 RPM but as of 7000 till 11000 RPM it was smooth as before. Oiltemp was reduced by an average of 10°C ( probably due to two bearings less which would add heat). ALthough i minimized the rotating mass by app 3,5kg the only difference i felt in engine behaviour was a little rough run below 4000 due to probably to less rotating mass. Other than that there was no sginificant difference to feel.

Unfortunately the engine developed a valvetrain issue in saturday morning practice, so i swapped it (2h) against my comp engine. At the last timed session i setted the secondfastesd tim in my class and earned second place on the grid therefore.

Finished second in the first race on saturday and third in the second race on sunday. I´m pretty happy with that result. Fastest rider in this 500cc class is a swiss mate who race ten times as much as me per year with a lot of realy fast guys ( IHRO). I was a full 3 seconds faster than last year.

I also had a chance to ride a 1937 Norton International CS1 in full comp trim. My first time on solidframe pre worldwar bike with a trapezoid fork.
The bike has a magnesia housed, drysumped, bevel camshaft drive, full modified engine with 500cc and app 52 hp max RPM 7500 - 8000. The bikes weigth was an awsome 125 kg. Topspeed in 4th gear is app 170 -180 km/h on the pannonia rings straight. This bike realy goes like stink.

After two slow laps i got used to the handling ( not so bad as i had assumed, actualy it handled great besides a little wobbling which you could control by just pulling more on the wire). my laps got faster and faster ( although i ve been pretty carefull not to destroy this 50.000 USD bike) and it felt great. The owner was full of compliments for my driving skills ( i scored lap times about rank 3 to 4 in this class) and admired my no fear driving style.

I will visit the owner and builder of this bike in the near future, because he has one for sale and i´m defenitely interessted.
cs1.jpg

TOM

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Oh to be young and indestructible again!!! :)

Congratulations on your races!

I've wondered about removing the balance shaft on the Porsche 924S/944 engines we have and if it would reduce the amount of oiling troubles these engines have....
Someday I'll try it!

Back