Grant's SL-C Build tread

Grant

In your very first group of Photo's in your very first post why are those rod ends and bolt so rusty??? Are those just mock up parts or is that the normal components; please tell me they are not.

Yes they were a little rusty I pulled them all off wire wheeled them and then coated them with POR 15 now they are better then new.

Last edited:
Grant

In your very first group of Photo's in your very first post why are those rod ends and bolt so rusty??? Are those just mock up parts or is that the normal components; please tell me they are not.

They develop surface rust - it's just like grade 12.9 bolts that arn't plated. No big deal.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
They didn't look that bad at all. "Flash" rust is nothing to worry about. Couple of quick wipes with a scotch brite pad and voila.

Clean them up and squirt a little Ballistol on them, wip them down again and you're good to go for at least another year without any signs of rust!

Grant, thanks for sharing your build. The custom work you have done so far looks fantastic! I'm seriously considering my own SL-C build and am lurking around here acting like a sponge, trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible.

You are obviously a very talented person; unfortunately, I am not that talented and am concerned about all of the fabrication and the additional cost if I farm it out. One of the reasons that I am leaning towards an SL-C build is because I felt that it is one of the most complete kits out there. I was under the impression that the SL-C kit is pretty much a giant erector set (no disrespect). So here's my question; how much of the custom fabrication you have done was absolutely necessary and how much was your personal taste just because you are capable of doing it?

Thanks for in-put!

Jim

I was under the impression that the SL-C kit is pretty much a giant erector set (no disrespect).

We bought one, so we obviously reached the conclusion that it was best for us, but there is a small storeroom of stuff that we bought that didn't come with the kit.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Jim,
if you follow the well troden path then its certainly more bolt together than fabrication...
We have many bolt on parts available for purchase but keep in mind what you are actually building...a complete car...that will outperform many if not all off the shelf production cars under $200k...if you want something a little more special, then that is avaiable too as others are showing on this forum daily..

Last edited:
Jim,
if you follow the well troden path then its certainly more bolt together than fabrication...
We have many bolt on parts available for purchase but keep in mind what you are actually building...a complete car...that will outperform many if not all off the shelf production cars under $200k...if you want something a little more special, then that is avaiable too as others are showing on this forum daily..

Fran, are saying that even if I follow the "well troden path", I'll still have to some fafrication? If so, could please state a couple of examples.

Thank you,
Jim

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
You will have to drill holes, trim fiberglass, assemble lines for fuel pumps of choice, crimp lines for AC...(any local shop AC can do this for you)
There is no welding required unless you want to make custom headers/exhausts..(.we have LS3 and LS7 side exit tailpipes available.)
If you want to move the motor on the power steering column type stuff etc .....none of this is real fabrication in the true sense of the word but if you are not comfortable with this kind of thing then assembling your own car from a kit is not for you...no disrespect intended btw.

Compared to the other "supercar" type self assemble cars on the market an SLC with an LS and a Porsche transaxle is about as simple as its going to get...especially with an ISIS wiring system.

Last edited:
Hello Jim, no matter what car / truck / plane / boat etc... you plan to build there will be some fabrication required. You can keep it as simple as you like and buy off the shelf parts and build this car without much problem. If you have the resources as I do you can make it much more custom or one of. I built an 427 SC cobra and had to do much more fabrication then I did on this due to the fact that all the parts sent with the car were junk and would not fit and I ended up having to rebuild most of it to make it work. The parts you get for the SL-C are very well made and they fit into each other as they should. You are likely to have some challanges but I am sure you will find the answers here on the forum or from Fran. There are more and more people building this car and posting so you will have more options avaliable to you.

You will have to drill holes, trim fiberglass, assemble lines for fuel pumps of choice, crimp lines for AC...(any local shop AC can do this for you)
There is no welding required unless you want to make custom headers/exhausts..(.we have LS3 and LS7 side exit tailpipes available.)
If you want to move the motor on the power steering column type stuff etc .....none of this is real fabrication in the true sense of the word but if you are not comfortable with this kind of thing then assembling your own car from a kit is not for you...no disrespect intended btw.

Compared to the other "supercar" type self assemble cars on the market an SLC with an LS and a Porsche transaxle is about as simple as its going to get...especially with an ISIS wiring system.

Agreed. It's not even close. Some of us builders make it hard on ourselves though.

Hello Jim, no matter what car / truck / plane / boat etc... you plan to build there will be some fabrication required. You can keep it as simple as you like and buy off the shelf parts and build this car without much problem. If you have the resources as I do you can make it much more custom or one of. I built an 427 SC cobra and had to do much more fabrication then I did on this due to the fact that all the parts sent with the car were junk and would not fit and I ended up having to rebuild most of it to make it work. The parts you get for the SL-C are very well made and they fit into each other as they should. You are likely to have some challanges but I am sure you will find the answers here on the forum or from Fran. There are more and more people building this car and posting so you will have more options avaliable to you.

Thanks guys, you confirmed my general impression but I guess that I just needed some reassurance from you folks.

Grant, I have read your entire build thread 3 times so far and each time I'm more impressed than the last; some great intonations and excellent craftsmanship!

Jim

Steering wheel this has been a hot topic lately on the forum. I like the old school race wheel look and could not find anything that suited my needs I wanted it to have a flat bottom for leg room and it needed to have eight buttons, horn, start engine, four for the digi dash, one for lift up and one for down. I didn’t want to have go searching for those buttons on my dash or console.
So eventually I gave up looking and just made one, here what its looks so far but it will get the buttons soon as I just received them from China a couple of days ago, good old Ebay, then I will sew some leather on to it and wire in the relays with a quick disconnect coil cord. And Hopefully everything will work as it is a Sh*t load of work for a steering wheel LOL.

Hi Grant,

Like many others here, I've read through your build log, and I have to say, your work is awe inspiring. Your attention to detail is among some of the best that I've ever seen. As I read through each post, I kept finding theings that made a ton of sense that I don't know that I would have ever thought of. But when I hit your post regarding the Custom Steering wheel, i was blown away. From what you show so far, it looks like artwork. Amazing skills.

Take Care,

Mike

Grant,

I just had the opportunity to look at your thread in it's entirety at lunch. Nice work! I remember you said you were a fabricator when we spoke on the phone.

I like a lot of your ideas. Have you started your engine yet? I'm curious how loud it is with those mufflers and a side exhaust.

Back