Graziano Transaxle's first gear.

I know several cars are being built with the Graziano transaxle. Is anyone driving with one yet? (Track or street) I'm curious to know how first gear is with a 500 horsepower LS motor pushing it. I've read in a few threads about some of the Porsche transaxle's 1st gear being very short and worthless but I haven't found anyone talking about the Graziano yet.

There are a few running around.
Ed Davis has one that another owner has driven/passenger in.
I am sure he will give you his opinion.

There are higher V10 ratios available for the upper gears and also even higher custom 5/6 gearsets for the big mph guys running Lamborghini's/R8's

3rd gear is close to 1st gear in a ZO6 But with the light flywheel it works ok, you don't have to slip the clutch to drive in the pits or parking lot.

Great info Mark. It's good to know that the gearing can be changed more to suit your motor or just how you want your car to perform.

There are a few running around.
Ed Davis has one that another owner has driven/passenger in.
I am sure he will give you his opinion.

There are higher V10 ratios available for the upper gears and also even higher custom 5/6 gear sets for the big mph guys running Lamborghini's/R8's

I was just about to ask you whether the boxes that you offer were the standard gears or the taller gears used in the Lambo's.

RPM's:
The Audi V8 engine, (at 8250 max rpm), revs a bit higher than the Vette LS7 (7000 max rpm), and the V10 revs higher yet (8700 max RPM), so the 2 or 3 thousand dollars above with the cost of the standard ratio box, or just spring for the transaxle with the taller gears? I guess that's really the first question. The 2nd is whether or not the Lamborghini transaxles would still benefit from the step gear kit.

I'm sort of guessing, that unless you use an engine that will spool up to 8500 to 9000 rpm, the Graziano with standard gear ratios would be the better bet when paired with the LS engines.

Weight:
The Aventador weighs in at about 3475 lbs, and the Huracan is around 3150 lbs. So I guess in the SLC, there would be even less stress on the gears.

Either way, it is a gear box that can easily handle the load that these cars generate. I think the Lamborghini's are at least 800 lbs heavier than the SLC.

I wonder if it would fit into a GTM? :thumbsup:

Just thinking out loud...

Mike

Hello all,
Still lurking, going to visit Fran next week. Have been unable to learn if there are differences between the 2 offered Graziano Transaxles other than ratios. Synchros? Gear width? Heat treats? ETC?
Thanks for any help that you may offer.
Mike

Mike,
I will fill you in next week when you get here as I just had the head of Graziano Italy here this week along with the head of the US division.

Its not a big deal though really as its just ratios and some internal parts get swapped around...but same trans essentially...
Oerlikon is a huge and succesful company and know what they are doing so I don't think we need to second guess their abilities.
Their transaxles are in Ferrari, Aston, Lambo, McLaren to name a few.

Last edited:
Just my $.02. Don't get caught up in thinking you have to have a super tall 1st gear. If you want to go 80mph in first gear, start out in 2nd or 3rd instead. If you have a production car with a manual, go out and drive it around not ever allowing yourself to use 1st gear. Always start out from a stop in 2nd or 3rd. See how enjoyable that is for you. You can use the logic that the SL-C is lighter and the engine has more power, blah, blah, blah......but in the real world, you still end up slipping the clutch for a half block until you can let it all the way out without stalling the engine.

Are you ever going to drive your car thru a parking lot? Drive it onto a trailer? Drive slowly over a rough road or speed bump? Go out and do that with your production car in 3rd gear and see how enjoyable it becomes. Just my word of warning. I totally understand wanting a tall top gear for interstate cruising so the engine is buzzing at 3500rpm in top gear at 70mph......but deciding you have to have a 60mph first gear is a decision you will quickly regret in the real world.

Trying to get some pictures to see if I want to do it myself or find someone to do it.
No one I have found in Northern VA. wants to work on this transmission. If anyone has done this please post.
thanks
Ed

Howard Jones

Supporter
My G50 has 2.43, 1.73, 1.39, 1.0, 0.85 and a 3.44 final on 345-30-19 rear tires and a 6700 RPM redline.

These are PERFECT gears for both open track sessions (NOT A RACE!) and street use.

If I selected a 6 speed I still would use the above with a 1000 RPM drop between my 5th and the proposed 6th. That's about a 0.73 6th.

Do not go taller than 2.4 for a 1st or you will regret it. You will need it for traffic and drive ways. You will never use 1st on a track. More than likely not even 2nd. I just ran big Willows several full laps in 4th just to feel the suspension balance. With the power we have a lot of monkey motion gear changes just isn't necessary.

Howard,
I get a calculated number of about 2,763 rpm at 75 mph with that gearing. That sound about right on your car?

Back