Greetings from Cambridge, UK

Hi

I am a long-term Porsche fan - currently on my 9th 911, a 2.4E from '72 that was forward dated at some point to a 2.7 RS lightweight.

I'm also a long-term admirer of the GT40 and thinking about getting a replica/reproduction. Looking into the different options. I would want one that is close to an original. Mainly for weekend road use as I don't tend to do trackways (at least not on 4 wheels). From what I have read so far more likely to go down be SPF route, although at this point I've not driven (or been driven in) any GT40s.

Spencer

Spencer,
Welcome to the forum.
Before you make any decisions about a purchase, get a look at some cars. There are some 170 on the road in UK and a visit to one of the Area meetings near you will give you the opportunity to talk to owners and builders. Dates and venues of meetings can be found here. Call the Area Organiser beforehand and he'll make introductions on the night.
Alternatively, there are still a few events left in 2014 at which cars can be seen and owners talked to - here.

Spencer,
Welcome to the forum.
Before you make any decisions about a purchase, get a look at some cars. There are some 170 on the road in UK and a visit to one of the Area meetings near you will give you the opportunity to talk to owners and builders. Dates and venues of meetings can be found here. Call the Area Organiser beforehand and he'll make introductions on the night.
Alternatively, there are still a few events left in 2014 at which cars can be seen and owners talked to - here.

Thanks. I will try to make one of the area meetings near to me as a first step.

Spencer I am close to Cambridge and have a CAV with "original" type options (Webers etc) and happy to discuss or show you if you are interested.

Hi Spencer
It's the East Anglia Meeting tonight at the Scole Inn (just outside Diss) at 8pm and there is planned to be at least 2 GT40's in attendance
Regards,
Andy

Hi Spencer
It's the East Anglia Meeting tonight at the Scole Inn (just outside Diss) at 8pm and there is planned to be at least 2 GT40's in attendance
Regards,
Andy

Hi Andy

Bugger! Just seen your post and it is 8pm. :sad:

When is the next meeting?

Regards

Spencer

Spencer, isn't the England CAV rep located in Cambridge? Might be worth a look.

They are indeed close. In fact, they also run a car storage business and it was whilst dropping off my 911 to be stored that I saw their demonstrator and it was that that got me thinking (again) about getting a GT40. I've spoken with them and have been invited to a test day in a couple of weeks. Will be my first drive in a GT40 of any description. Certainly looking forward to it and crossing my fingers that it lives up to my expectations.

Back