Ground clearance

Previously posted at Club Cobra; thought I'd also solicit advice here:

As I edge ever closer to pulling the trigger on this (SPF Mk II) , I'm concerned about ground clearance and maximum ramp angles. While crawling around a couple of examples in the Monterey infield, I noticed that the flange on the bellhousing was nearly touching the grass on which the car was parked. It also had some noticeable scrapes.

Any insight from current SPF GT40 owners as to their experience with speed bumps, dips and other road inconveniences much appreciated.

never a problem with mine and I negotiate speed bumps daily around here. steep ramps are more of an issue with the long front overhang

A good discussion of this issue was posted on this forum a year or two ago; be sure and locate that thread.

As you've surmised, the overhanging bellhousing flange is a particular problem (at least on some items) and is discussed therein.

Since you will have much less latitude in dealing with ramp angles if you are keeping your chassis and suspension pretty close to as it's designed to be, your only option in dealing with steep ones is to cross the ramp in as sharp of an angle as you can which, trigonometrically, much lessens the ramp angle. Parking lot/street ramp-transitions are what you really have to watch for. Some of them are so steep and sharp that they will scrape many street cars; these you just want to pass by.

Last edited:
The *real* solution is to get a proper GT40 bellhousing and clutch, which are substantially smaller than the ones that are being installed in many Superformance cars. They don't hang below the car at all.

The proper kit is available from Safir, and others. Expensive, but worth it!

I've had this problem with my car. I have 17" wheels. With the shorter sidewalls and a bit smaller diameter (315/35/17 rear 215/40/17 front), it lowered the car about another 1.2 inches. I am having the bellhousing trimmed, the front suspension links shortened, raising the car an inch, and having it realigned. This should get the car back to standard ride height with a bit more clearance. Anyone else have 17" on their car?

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
I just put 17" wheels and tires on my car. Got them from Vintage Wheels.
My ground clearance is just about the same, since the OD of the tires is close to the original 15" wheels and tires (Avons). Only the rears are 1/2" shorter in diameter, so I lost a 1/4" in height. Barely noticeable...

245/40's on the front
335/35's on the back

FWIW,
Kirby

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg.jpg
    securedownload.jpg.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 325
i just wonder how shortening the front suspension links might affect the handling characteristics on a track or on aggressive corners.

I'm a little confused on 'shortening the front suspension links'. If you mean the anti roll bar links I understand. Altering the a arms I don't. I haven't had a problem with the bellhousing, but I have the smaller steel Quick Time one. The bigger problem is definitely the front overhang. The nose extends 26" in front of the wheels and is just over 3" clearance. Even angling the car it still scrapes on some driveways and some you can't enter at all. Thought my lowered Lotus Europa had this problem, but the GT40 is much worse. Just one of the limitations of the car-wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Thanks for all the feedback. Next step looks to be doing some measuring/templating of my driveway ramp angle and hoping for the best. Having to regrade and repave the driveway is a budgetary burden I can do without.

Re: the bellhousing issue, do any owners use skidplates or other shields to protect the flange? Seems like it would be fairly cheap insurance.

Back