GT 40 Tires and Wheels Superformance

Not trying to hijack the thread here, but if anyone noticed.. the front tires in this photo are the BFGoodrich Drag Radials. Does anyone have personal experience running the BFGoodrich Drag Radials as front tires? It's my understanding that drag radials are less than ideal for street tires, let alone front tires. Thoughts?

Rather than rely on internet forum conjecture, I took the time to actually phone BF Goodrich and talk with their tech people about this practice.

They STRONGLY discourage the use of their drag radials in applications like ours. They are a very single-purpose tire, designed to only be mounted on the rear, and are optimized for straight-line performance at the expense of handling, cornering etc. The tech I talked with pointed out that they have numerous other tire lines that are appropriate for general-purpose sports car use. I pointed out that they had no other speed-rated tires in the appropriate 15-inch sizes, and he responded with, "uh...."

I also phoned the Nitto tech line, as Nitto also makes dedicated drag-racing tires. They said exactly the same thing--do NOT use these tires on a car that you intend to drive around a corner, and do not ever put them on the front.

But you have to admit that they do look good. And there are lots of Cobra (and GT40) owners who are, for lack of a more polite word, 'posers'. That is, they enjoy driving their car in the middle lane on the freeway to the Sunday morning donut shop car show, making a bit of noise, showing off a bit of bling, then quietly driving back home again.

There's nothing wrong with that of course--there's nothing that says that every Cobra/GT40 owner has to be a wild man, driving around with his hair on fire all the time. :laugh:

Anyway, for the coffee-shop car show crowd, those drag radials are probably just fine. But if your ambitions involve driving you car hard on a back road, or even harder on a race track (one that has real turns in it, instead of just a Christmas tree at the start), then you need to be looking elsewhere for tires....

Larry,
Some time ago we(me and others) posted a spreadsheet of all the available tires that woould work on the 15 wheels. It is here on the forum. Use the search function using various names like 15 inch wheels or variations of it. It was veryup to date(at the time). It had all the names of who was using that brand and the sizing, width height etc. I think it may have had some web info as well. Not sure. I am at work or I would have the info on my computer. I have yet to get my car on the road, so I can't help you other than to say others with my drag tires(Nittos) grip well and handle well in the corners. If you check the web sites for the various tires on that spread sheet you will find out the strait skinny on the tires. There are some good tires out there and some wide ones like mine(335s). Some will require fender alterations. Mine did as they were wider than the fenders and wouldn' allow the rear clip to close. there are some good threads on the subject. again use the search funtion. There is tons of info here on the forum, you just have to look.

Bill

I'll be at the SEMA show next week, and will carefully scrutinize all the tire manufacturer stands for hopes of finding some new, appropriate tires. I'll also bend the ears of whatever customer service reps will listen to me! :shout:

Back