GT-Forte GTs40 build

Long time no updates (again!) I've not been doing an awful lot over winter that's worth of an update, lots of purchases, lots of planning, not a lot of worth an update work.

Now it's got warm again however I've got working in the garage again.

So, been working on the steering. Replaced the piece of alloy bar with a properly splined bar. It was an impulse purchase at the kit car show on Sunday. Expected to have to cut it and either extend or shrink it but it looks near enough perfect already!

IMG_20130508_003119.jpg

IMG_20130508_003132.jpg

Turned down the end of the Corsa B column so the extension fits (it's not properly in place here, it's a press fit and don't want to do that until I'm ready). I'll be both welding the end and puddle welding it in a couple of spots to make sure that doesn't go anywhere! On the end is just a little aluminium adapter I made to hold the splined section on so I can test the fit, might need to cut it down a touch and don't want to do that until I'm sure of the size.

IMG_20130508_003244.jpg

Also made up an adapter for the water pump so to move the thermostat to the front of the car.

IMG_20130508_003403.jpg

(The manky looking alloy behind is the water pump, I'll be fitting a new one.)

Finally I made a seat... :) kind of, just hardboard and with a bit of closed cell foam, actually surprisingly comfortable but I really needed a seat to see where the pedals and wheel were going to sit.

IMG_20130506_005123.jpg

IMG_20130506_005333.jpg

On a related note I tried a set of Intatrim GT40 seats at the kit car show and I didn't get on with them, they dug into my shoulder blades, very uncomfortable. So those are off the list. I'm more and more considering just making my own.

I had the one I mentioned from NRG lowered at a local shop this past weekend. Results were good. I have plenty of room, a cozy seat (I'm 6'2" 225) and it reclines as well as tilts.

Long time no updates (again!) I've not been doing an awful lot over winter that's worth of an update, lots of purchases, lots of planning, not a lot of worth an update work.

Now it's got warm again however I've got working in the garage again.

So, been working on the steering. Replaced the piece of alloy bar with a properly splined bar. It was an impulse purchase at the kit car show on Sunday. Expected to have to cut it and either extend or shrink it but it looks near enough perfect already!

IMG_20130508_003119.jpg

IMG_20130508_003132.jpg

Turned down the end of the Corsa B column so the extension fits (it's not properly in place here, it's a press fit and don't want to do that until I'm ready). I'll be both welding the end and puddle welding it in a couple of spots to make sure that doesn't go anywhere! On the end is just a little aluminium adapter I made to hold the splined section on so I can test the fit, might need to cut it down a touch and don't want to do that until I'm sure of the size.

IMG_20130508_003244.jpg

Also made up an adapter for the water pump so to move the thermostat to the front of the car.

IMG_20130508_003403.jpg

(The manky looking alloy behind is the water pump, I'll be fitting a new one.)

Finally I made a seat... :) kind of, just hardboard and with a bit of closed cell foam, actually surprisingly comfortable but I really needed a seat to see where the pedals and wheel were going to sit.

IMG_20130506_005123.jpg

IMG_20130506_005333.jpg

On a related note I tried a set of Intatrim GT40 seats at the kit car show and I didn't get on with them, they dug into my shoulder blades, very uncomfortable. So those are off the list. I'm more and more considering just making my own.

Yeah, shame they're just not reasonably priced across here. I don't mind modifying something if it's cheap but not when it's expensive.

Oh well, looks like its time to learn TIG welding... :)

I got fed up compromising the design of various alloy parts because of an inability to weld them so bought an AC/DC TIG welder. Chinese I'm afraid but from a UK supplier. Just need to wait on some gas, regulator, filler rod and some electrodes....

PS mind editing out the quoting in your last post?

No way to edit it now that I can see.

Yeah, shame they're just not reasonably priced across here. I don't mind modifying something if it's cheap but not when it's expensive.

Oh well, looks like its time to learn TIG welding... :)

I got fed up compromising the design of various alloy parts because of an inability to weld them so bought an AC/DC TIG welder. Chinese I'm afraid but from a UK supplier. Just need to wait on some gas, regulator, filler rod and some electrodes....

PS mind editing out the quoting in your last post?

Hi David - which company did you get the TIG welder from, if you don't mind me asking? I've heard good things about the support from R-Tech. Their welders are Chinese made, but the support is very much from the UK. Be interested to hear if there are any other reasonably priced providers?

Have you thought about welding up your own fuel tanks? The money saved would likely cover a large chunk of the cost of the welder!

Hi David - which company did you get the TIG welder from, if you don't mind me asking? I've heard good things about the support from R-Tech. Their welders are Chinese made, but the support is very much from the UK. Be interested to hear if there are any other reasonably priced providers?

Have you thought about welding up your own fuel tanks? The money saved would likely cover a large chunk of the cost of the welder!

Fuel tanks are a risky thing to start off on, and also quite materially expensive if you screw them up badly enough.

Used Hobart or Miller TIG welders, the ones before the age of computer chips galore for the innards, are usually unkillable and easy to maintain.

I've thought about it but I won't be making my own tanks from aluminium any time soon, not until I get good at TIG'ing aluminium anyway. :) Lots of practise required before I get to that stage however.

I've been really slack with updates. Haven't stopped working on the car though, although its slow going right now I'm trying to stick to "do a little every day".

So lets see, I've restarted panelling.

Finished rear left
IMG_20130515_002840.jpg

and right panels.
IMG_20130515_002810.jpg

Finished off the spacers for the rear bulkhead on the right, although this shows them just taped I've now riveted them.
IMG_20130517_002907.jpg

Trial fitted the spider into the proper location and made a cardboard template then cut the rear bulkhead out.
IMG_20130608_213214.jpg

IMG_20130608_213208.jpg

then made up the triangular filler plate and lots of drilling later
IMG_20130613_235227.jpg

IMG_20130613_235238.jpg

I've started to design a set of door hinges complete with an anti intrusion beam, bought the metal I need for it, just need some time... :)

Also I've redesigned my engine mounts (again), decided to stop pissing about with trying to make something complex to mount to the existing engine mounts, lop them off, weld on some new ones and be done with it.
Engine mounts now 90% done, just waiting for some weld nuts so I can complete them and weld them up. Then its engine out, angle grinder city on the mounts and few frame mods while I'm at it. Then I can refit/locate the engine and weld up the new frame side mounts.

Oh and also, I broke my lathe slightly, stripped the thread on the toolpost nut. Not an easy part to replace as it's an imperial buttress threaded nut and totally unavailable.
Time to replace the toolpost with a metric version!

I'm using the stock water pump, that's it in the middle of the V. Although I'll be buying a new one along with a new belt. It should be fine, if not I'll add an electric pump as well.

Ah, yes I'm going for the 1UZ-FE rather than the SBF so the water pump doesn't intrude. The cam sprockets nearly do though!

I'm sure you measured this, but make sure your horseshoe didn't spring forwards when you cut the upper supports out. I welded in braces to prevent it from moving while doing similar work.

I considered welding in supports but thought it was just as easy to measure and do it that way, I'll be doing one side at a time anyway. I think I'd weld in supports if I was doing both sides at the same time.

I think the rear supports and not cutting the other side yet have prevented it from moving though as er it didn't! :)

Unfortunately ran out of gas (and running low on grinding disks) which is a pain as I'd hoped to finish this side over the w/e.

Again no movement when I cut out the old section.
DSC07930.JPG

DSC07931.JPG

DSC07932.JPG

DSC07933.JPG

DSC07934.JPG

Not quite aligned properly as yet and new gas due Monday so I'll weld it in then.

More chassis welding :)
DSC07945.JPG

Cleaned up the remainder of the original engine mounts, tacked up some brackets to weld to the frame (going to put the engine back in first to locate them).

Ordered some more 1in tube and 1.5in tube (I thought 3m would be enough for all my modifications, I was wrong!)

Finished my engine mount brackets (at long long last).

DSC07954.JPG

DSC07955.JPG

DSC07956.JPG

Decided on what locks to use and bought one side along with a pair of catch plates, I'll get the other side when it's actually going to be needed.

I also finally ordered some proper stands, I need to weld the undersides of the tubes I've added and I really don't fancy doing it when its ~30cm off the floor! They should arrive tomorrow. Then there is the fun of lifting it.

Bought some tail lights and fixed the lathe. :D

Back