GT Headlight Covers

It's been a year or so since I first offered these so I thought I'd repost for all the new forum members. I make the head and running light plexiglass covers for the GT40 Mark I. I've sold several dozen sets to guys on the forum with no complaints. They have been fitted to many makes including Sabre, GTD, and Roaring Forties as well as some scratch builds. I include instructions on trimming/mounting the pieces as well as sources for tools and hardware at reasonable prices. I sell the set of four covers for $100 and can also make individual pieces as needed. Anyone needing light covers can email or call me at 816-525-8851 (Kansas City, MO).

G

Mark, I am considering getting a set as spares. As to the materials, am I recalling correctly that you use acrylic, Mark?

I am curious how often these get dinged by rocks etc. It would seem that these four covers would tend to get the worst of it as compared to the other lexan/plexi bits. Anyone have any war stories on how often the light covers get damaged?

Lynn, yes I use 100% acrylic for the light cover pieces. I've tried lexan and while its bullet-proof (used at banks to separate you from the tellers), it scratches like crazy when wiped with even the softest cloth. I'm a chemist and still don't understand that one fully. You can wipe acrylic with anything short of sandpaper and it doesn't scratch. They make a hardcoated lexan (MR10 I believe), but upon thermoforming the coating spider cracks. I guess you could have the pieces dipped after but at four times the price you may as well stay with acrylic. I consider them expendable parts and thats why I offer individual pieces.

G

Mark, that makes perfect sense and it is great that you have a standard offer to supply these. With regards to Lexan, I am not positive what is used for aircraft windscreens (I think it may be Lexan), but I worked in the general aviation airport in Tampa while in college (mainly to get discounted rental rates on the airplanes) and we all ways used a special cleaner and polish on those. Does the use of these cleaners and polishes help someone deal with the scratching issue with Lexan?

For those considering which material to use in the side and rear windows, are there any differences in the optical characteristics of the different clear plastics? I really wanted to use a glass engine cover, but the recess in my body just wasn't designed for the thickness of glass. The reason was that I felt I would get better visibility through a glass bulkhead window and glass motor cover than I would through two dissimilar materials.

There is no doubt that glass would provide the best visability. My engine cover opening is not square so glass is not an option due to trimming. My engine cover is lexan, which is where I noticed the scratching problem. I have buffed them out with scratch remover, but you rarely need to do it with acrylic. There is no difference in clarity as they are both crystal clear.

Back