GT40 Accident

With it even more dismantled, I'm pleased to say there is no evidence of any damage/movement to the chassis further back than the front box sections. To my (untrained) eye everything seems very square and level.
Hopefull should be able to get it repaired relativly easily.
Simon

ps I think this first picture makes it look slightly out, trust me, its not

Attachments

• 41001-22nd-July-1.jpg
    41001-22nd-July-1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 619
Hi Simon -

Try Roy Smart - as he is producing NEW GTD40 Chassis - he can possibly either repair yours, or supply a sectional part to replace what is damaged.

He also has full drawings and dimensions so is in a good position to know exactly what is bent and what is not bent.

Sorry to see it happen but as others had said - no injured and i'm sure it can be repaired. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

In fact looking now it doesnt look too bad at all!

Simon,
I am saddened to see the pictures of your damaged car but from what i can see it will be a straight forward repair and if i can be of any assistance please call.
As Chris said i had the mother and father of racing accidents at Oulton Park 7 weeks ago and destroyed the front and rear in a 90mph "flying" shunt into the armco.

Yours is a piece of cake to repair so don,t worry too much. Because of Gulf and racing commitments i have worked flat-out and it is now back together and i start respraying tomorrow. Get Chris to get his man to knock up a new front for you and yours will only take a week to have sorted.

Your front brakes may be OK. It could be that you need to install an inline pressure adjusting valve so that you can balance your braking system properly.

As only your front pontoon is bent slightly it will be repairable without the need to strip it down much more and your repair costs will be minimal.

Regards,

Graham @ GTA.

Howard Jones

Supporter
If that was my car I would chain the thing to a tree ,and pull the bent front parts straight with a come along tied to another tree. By the way nows the time to raise the steering box 7/16" with shims under the mounting clamps. This is the easy fix for correcting at least most of the bump steer issue with GTD's. A new radiator some body parts and you will be back on the road. These old GTD's seam to stand up for themselfs pretty well. It will be OK.

Hi Simonboomsmile
thanks for the very sound advice - from the pixs you sent of your accident seems as though you tried to run before you could walk with the car ? that's just the reason why I am going to do a complete re-commission as you just don't know what's in there and especially with the hydrualics !
anyway my philophosy is that if you live your life to a plan -you could live to 120 - just live your life and you could die tommorrow
best wishes
Simon Jude
:pepper:

I was looking at your disks and it was only 1 day between the accident and when you took the front off. Your disks are very rusty. I dont think they would rust like that in 1 day would they? Maybe your front disks are not working at all. That would certianly cause the rear to lock very easy.

Just a thought
Jim

Back