GT40 Avenger

Just bought this kit car off eBay. So where to begin? Never owned a mid-engine car. Currently has a VW transaxle. No clue how much HP that can handle. I wanted to drop a 302 in the back. A lot of older mustangs for sale around my area. Was thinking of buying one to use as a donor car. I'm a little overwhelmed and any advice on how you would begin this project would be appreciated...Mike

Car due to arrive mid-July.

Attachments

• GT40 kit 2.jpg
    GT40 kit 2.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 725
  • GT40 kit 3.jpg
    GT40 kit 3.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 656
  • GT40 kit 5.jpg
    GT40 kit 5.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 659
  • GT40 kit 6.jpg
    GT40 kit 6.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 621
  • GT40 kit 7.jpg
    GT40 kit 7.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 579
  • GT40 kit 8.jpg
    GT40 kit 8.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 656

Neil

Supporter
Mike;

I had one years ago- sold it to a fellow who was moving to Wichita.

Your Avenger was built for a 36 hp VW engine; an iron-block 302 is NOT going to work for many reasons, one being that it is not a mid-engine layout. The engine hangs off the rear of the transaxle so it is a rear engine car. The weight of a 302 hanging off the rear is not going to be feasible. Yours is a swing-axle tranny so the handling- even with a VW engine- will be treacherous. The VW trailing arm front suspension is also not a good design. A VW pan is not a very rigid chassis, either.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, Mike, but I suggest selling it to someone else. To finish this Avenger will take a LOT of time and effort which would be better spent on another project that would yield a more satisfying result for the same amount of effort and $.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Or you can hone your car-building skills by completing this car as a VW powered unit.
If you mind your budget closely, you may have something you can make a bit of money with.
Start looking for a VW Donor...

I'm retired, so time is not an issue, and I got some money. (If I had a lot of money I'd buy a real GT40) Reselling right away is not an option. Wife is ready to kill me already. So from what I gather so far the VW frame is shit. So going back to the donor car option. Plenty of mustangs maybe even fieros by me. I have plenty of tools, planning on taking a welding class in the fall.
So I guess when the car comes, measure the dimensions and figure out a better donor car? Not really interested in keeping the VW chasis if it's meant to hold 32HP

Neil

Supporter
Mike, see if you can find a chapter of the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) near you and also see if you can find a local community college that offers a class in aviation mechanics. A course in Airframe and Powerplant Mechanics is an experience that will teach you valuable skills that are applicable to car building.

Looks like low budget , FUN build to me. First thing I'd consider is that I have seen the V8 Tornado versions for sale up here in western Canada for real reasonable running and driving so you may consider one of those if you want to scare yourself...but what you have there looks fun too.
King link front end is fine, you can throw on dropped spindles cheap.
Disc brake kits all the way around easy to install.
VW pan is pretty simple to repair and beef up with modest welding skills.
Conversion to IRS bus tranny 3 ,5or 6 rib should be done, Easy to do. Sell the swing axle to a beetle guy.
Subaru engine conversion for more HP or look for a stroker vw.
Heck if you look around for someone selling a good old school sandrail you could use it as the parts donor.
Just keep it fun and low budget.
FWIW

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Every ones cup of tea is different. You could hone your skills and find your limits on this one. Then, who knows.
Have fun.
Dave just said a lot.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Mike, thanks thanks for sharing your project. I think this is a wonderful starter project and it seems you have the right enthusiasm. Pay no attention to the naysayers, build what you want and have fun. Please keep It up, I would love to follow your build.

Neil

Supporter
Don't get me wrong- an Avenger can be a fun project but with the same amount of effort, time, and money spent on something else, you could wind up with something else that you'll enjoy even more, Mike.

Don't get me wrong- an Avenger can be a fun project but with the same amount of effort, time, and money spent on something else, you could wind up with something else that you'll enjoy even more, Mike.
I have a 1972 corvette with edelbrock top end kit and a tremec 6 speed. That's my fun car. I just wanted something I could build from scratch that hopefully will look and perform awesome. I'm sure it will be a long and painful process, but I'm ready for the challenge

Pat

Supporter
Mike,
They had a number of these locally at one time and some were stunning cars. I think they had a plant in Miami. You can do a lot with a VW air cooled engine and 150 horsepower is not out of the question. Some also used Corvair engines but I suspect they are pretty scarce as are their parts. As Neil indicates, the layout is rear engined and I don't see how you could accommodate a 302. But as light as the car is and with the type of power you can get, you can smoke a lot of Detroit muscle with one. Places like Fisher Buggy near Tampa http://fisherbuggies.com or www.cbperformance.com on the West Coast can give you some ideas. Have fun with it, trick it out and blow off the kid at the corner named Kyle and his dad's beater Camaro. ;)

with it,
black-avenger-4.jpg

Mike,
They had a number of these locally at one time and some were stunning cars. I think they had a plant in Miami. You can do a lot with a VW air cooled engine and 150 horsepower is not out of the question. Some also used Corvair engines but I suspect they are pretty scarce as are their parts. As Neil indicates, the layout is rear engined and I don't see how you could accommodate a 302. But as light as the car is and with the type of power you can get, you can smoke a lot of Detroit muscle with one. Places like Fisher Buggy near Tampa http://fisherbuggies.com or www.cbperformance.com on the West Coast can give you some ideas. Have fun with it, trick it out and blow off the kid at the corner named Kyle and his dad's beater Camaro. ;)

with it, View attachment 99368
Thanks for the info! Will check it out. Car looks sweet.

Dan Kasten

Supporter
I just did a little checking around and I see that Fiberfab U.S. is still around. That is a bonus when it comes time for trim and glass, it looked like on the website that they have a full chassis as well. If I remember correctly can't you use a Porsche engine?

I won't receive the car until mid July. I'll take measurements as soon as it arrives. I can get a used Boxster transmission for around $500. Kennedy Engineering makes adapter plates for V8s. That's the plan in my mind but it all depends on the available space I guess.

A buddy of mine put a Subaru engine in his Bradley.Got an adapter online for cheap. The car scoots. Good luck DJ

69 Lola Mk3b (rep)
Dodge Monaco Bluesmobile,Thats right cop motor ,cop shocks
Datsun 70 240 Z Nr 381

Donor Car. Found this car for $1500. This is what is has:
86 fiero gt with a v8 archie motor swap. The kit consists of - Engine/Trans. Adapter Plate 6061 Aluminium Front Engine Mount A/C Mount Torque Strut Rod Starter Mount Block Harmonic Balancer Pulley Custom Flex Plate Adapter Flex Plate adapter and Flexplate 1985 and older SBC engines Remote Oil Filter Kit Remote Oil Filter Adapter High Torque Starter Electric 34 gpm Water Pump The motor/trans setup is currently a 406ci with a edelbrock 750 performer, mated to a 4 speed automatic with a shift kit and lock up torque converter.

VW Beetle measurements: FIERO measurements:
160.6 length 160.3 length
width 62.4 inches width 68.9
wheelbase 94.5 wheelbase 93.4

With some minor fabrication is this doable? What problems should I expect/anticipate?

Attachments

• fiero 1.jpg
    fiero 1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 444
  • fiero 2.jpg
    fiero 2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 430
  • fiero 3.jpg
    fiero 3.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 480

Pat

Supporter
You can apparently do a lot with these. This is a local car that has a blown engine and Oldsmobile Toronado trans. It's proabably just the thing for a soon to be organ donor though.
PC170102.JPG
PC170101.JPGPC170102.JPGPC150031.JPG

Picked me up a fiero with a blown motor for $350. Found these pictures of a Fiero mounted to the kit so I know it can be done.

Attachments

• 1966-ford-gt-40-fiero.jpg
    1966-ford-gt-40-fiero.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 542
  • 1966-ford-gt-40-fiero2.jpg
    1966-ford-gt-40-fiero2.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 564
  • 1966-ford-gt-40-fiero5.jpg
    1966-ford-gt-40-fiero5.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 510
Back