GT40 Chassis Setup - Suspension Configuration - Original/Replica

Re: Possible Suspension Arm Failure, Racing - Tornado GT40

Dear all

just one point from my side. We have to differentiate Spring and shock and positioning of Spring along the shock absorber. Spring preload ( or changing of spring preload by changing the lower platform level) is not changing the total travel of the spring and point of load where it goes coil bind. As the words says it is only changing the preload which has to be overcome . over all the spring at a given load above the preload will always have the same compressed length.

So first of all the question must be answered , is the spring the correct one. A to weak of a spring for a given load will always go coilbind, independent what preload it will be given.

Secondly. if the spring is to weak the shock can go on block. Same will happen if the spring is to postioned to low on the shock , the shock will go on block before the spring goes on coil bind.

Therefore i can not fully agree to some reasonings in previous postings

TOM

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

This can happen to any car.
One thing (actually four) that I have for my car is Shock Bumpers. These will prevent coil bind when the right length is installed as well as preventing damage to the shock absorber itself.

AFCO Standard Blue Shock Bumper - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop

You can purchase these in varying rates of hardness and cut/shim to the appropriate length.

Dear Randy

agree. of course this can happen to every car if the spring is to weak.
Just wanted to point out that the level of preload is not influencing coil bind tendency in any way. Therefore the level of the lower Spring collar is not relevant if the spring develops coil bind or not and therefore the bend arm has nothing to do with the lower spring collar level. It would not make any difference if the lower spring level would be screwed up as far it goes. This just changes the ride height of the car, but the spring would go coil bind at the very same load. Just basic suspension knowledge principles.

Of course shock bumpers can slow down the hard bump effect of coil bind or shock block. But this should be just a last reserve . In my opinion is just curing the symptoms and not the illness.

TOM

Back