GT40.com memorial page for Mr John Horsman

Safir GT40 is sad to report that Mr. John Horsman has passed away.
John has been a good friend over the years and a pleasure to work with. John's technical knowledge and experience has been a most valuable asset in the development of the 50th anniversary edition GULF GT40. Rather than take credit for his work, John asked that a serial number plate be placed on each Gulf GT40 recognizing twenty five people he had worked with in the past but had not received sufficient recognition for their skills...

Read the memorial page and see photos at GT40.com

Neil

Supporter
I posted this on April 14th:

John Horsman has died. This is sad to report as he was my friend and a man who I greatly respected. A number of years ago John was the victim of a mistaken overdose of dye tracer (for a CT scan) and this damaged his kidneys to the point that it was necessary that he had a kidney transplant. This made it necessary to be on anti-rejection medication which had an effect on his immune system. In the past few months John had been ill and pretty much confined to his home here in Tucson, Arizona. He seemed to be improving so this outcome came as a surprise to us all. I'm sure we all wish his wife Janet our condolences.

The first time I met John at our Thursday lunch gathering, I sat next to him, not knowing much about who he was. We were discussing race cars and I mentioned that I had built a wing for a friend's Top Fuel dragster. He asked what profile I had used and I told him "NACA 4412". John's eyes lit up and I guess he thought that I knew something. He made a number of suggestions to improve the airflow on the car I am building. I'll miss him.

John's remarkable biography is widely available on the internet but the best one is in his wonderful book "Racing In The Rain".

First Stirling and now John. The old order passeth away....................

Attachments

• John H Horsman and Porsche 917.jpg
    John H Horsman and Porsche 917.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 411
> but the best one is in his wonderful book "Racing In The Rain"

I went to look for this last night and all I found were hardbacks at $300+, no paperbacks. I guess a short print run in 2006. I'll have to sneak that through the garage budget when the boss isn't looking..

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Neil, much appreciated the remembrance and the photo. RIP John Horsman.

Sheldon, Safir has contacted GT40s.com about putting up a memorial here on the site. I've asked them to sign on, no sponsorship needed, and please post info and pictures about John Horsman. I hope that comes to pass.

Back