GT40 P1029 at Dutch TT circuit in Assen

GT40 P1029 at the historic races at the Dutch TT circuit in Assen

Img_0206.jpg

Img_0207.jpg

Some details like the inboard side mirror…

Img_0191.jpg

Lovely rear spoiler, I think this is mandatory on the MkI, so cool and effective…

Img_0212.jpg

Enormously big rear axles to handle all the power (so much bigger than on my GTD)…

Img_0188.jpg

Nice and clean wheels front and rear…

Img_0203.jpg

Img_0204.jpg

And engine bay

Img_0187.jpg

Img_0192.jpg

Just in case the German owner als brought a nice copy of his car which he had to use on Sunday for race 2 as he had lost nearly all the oil from his engine on the parade lap of the first race (and forgot to pull on the grass which cost the organisers quite a while to clean).

Img_0220.jpg

As I had to train a customer in a 997 GT3 Cup car myself I asked a friend to take some pictures of the roll cage, since I still like to get a safe structure in my GTD. I already contacted Frank Catt and hope to discuss a solution for my GTD.

DSC_6193.jpg

DSC_6194.jpg

DSC_6195.jpg

I know there is a lot of discussion about having a roll cage or not and how it is safe or not. The guy who designed this cage ensured me he calculated this cage through and through and using all the diagonals this is as safe as he could get.

Please note that the top of the doors have been chopped and replaced by seperate roof panels.

Hope you all enjoy.

John

Last edited:
You're right Jay. Spain lists P1029 as totaled in a LeMans crash June 1966. Returned to FAV who stripped the car and scrapped it.

My first reaction when I saw the car was "funny, I didn't know they allowed replicas to run in historics". But the race engineer assured me it was a real car.
What was strange though is they taped the chassis number and I couldn't figure out why one would want to do that.
Anyway, a friend photographer told me he removed to tape to have a look at the number and someone else also posted pictures of this car on the forum stating the same number.

So in effect I was looking at two replicas that day. Nice cars though, wouldn't mind owning one of these as apparently they come with FIA papers.

John

....any ideas who made the(se) car(s)?

BTW, I like to diffentiate using the words REAL and ORIGINAL. My CAV is a REAL GT 40 but its certainly NOT AN ORIGINAL GT 40.

Remarkable is the position of his Vitaloni Sebring style mirror, does that work?

He obviously changed the side mirrors when compared with 2011.

BTW: How is your car?
Maybe we can meet up?

Hi Geert-Jan,

That's fine, maybe you will be in the area to watch the Red Bull F1 being driven at the TT circuit (it will also be driven through the town center) by David Coulthard.
I hope to visit Frank Catt after that to further discuss modifying my car to suit my track ambitions. We will start off with the safety issues, handling and brakes and finally engine.

Remarkable is the position of his Vitaloni Sebring style mirror, does that work?

Didn't talk with the owner, just his engineers. The owner didn't look too inviting for a conversation.

John

When is the Red Bull demo?
Assen is a bit far away for a 'quick' visit. Maybe we can arrange something not that far.
Where do you live? Or Zandvoort or Spa or .....

Back