GT40 replica for Mini Cooper money

Graham does all his work himself and i mean all the work,he is skilled and good at what he does that is why he can bulid a gt for that sort of money he understands how to use his hands and head to get what he wants.
Nick

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Graham, "Your time is valuable" - too right !!
Roughly what, to the nearest 50 hours, would you estimate
you would spend in labour on doing such a car ? I haven't read this article and I 'm not really bothered if I don't anyway, but you are perhaps talking from a position of somebody who might have the requisite skills already. I think the above posts only try to cost in materials and not man hours and without some skill base, a GT40 would be a monumental task. Without really trying to get involved in the politics of whats gone before, who really cares anyway. You made a statement , perhaps to a journalist, and you believe it. If others don't, they may also have valid viewpoints and are looking at it from other angles.
But I guess your time might be too valuable to continue this thread.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I am really sorry to say that the questions of How much and how long cannot be ansewered. WAY to many variables. Sorry.

I know i said that enough was enough in my last thread but i will reply to David and his questions.On average a build will take 350 hours. I keep work sheets for the time spent and and so can be pretty sure of costings. On a car that i am presently building for a customer i have spent, as of todays work, a total of 155 hours. That has seen all the bodywork holes, slots, rivnutting, tapping etc done, the chassis accurately clad in alloy,front to rear brake pipes, battery cable, fuel pumps, steering rack, water pipes, etc, etc,.
I never made a "statement" as such to a journalist.Will Holman saw me racing last year and about 4 months ago rang up asking if Performance Car magazine could do an article about how 40s could be built to the standard of mine and at the realistic prices as opposed to the sometimes massive amounts most people seem to be spending.He and a photographer came along for a long days interview and photoshoot and were able to see for themselves just what is involved and the standards that can be so simply achieved.
Look, i have nothing to prove to anyone, no reason to lie or deceive. I do things my way which happen to work out the way they do rather well. I do not have much money to throw around as racing and the development of the 917 eats me out of house and home.
I gained nothing financially from this article. I just asked that Gulf Oil UK( to whom i,m forever indebted to) and the Sports Racing and GT Series were mentioned, which they were at the end of the article.
Finally, whether i am involved in the build of a car for someone or not a 40 can be built to an exceptional standard for far less than most people realise.

Graham.

Graham,
Not meaning to go on further but, as I asked Nick, who has kindly emailed me, would such a car be registered as new or on a Q plate, or is this purely from a racing perspective we are talking about. I apologise for my lack of knowledge and reference to the article, but old uncle Henry has kept me runnign around so much I haven't had time to find the magazine. I am generally ineterested if from a road car point of view, as I am building mine (well sort of) at the current time. Please eMail me privatley to discuss if so. Many Thanks

Brett

PS As david mentioned, how is the 917 coming along? have you worked around all the SVA problems you previously spoke about?

Greetings! This is my first post, so please be gentile...

I've read through most of this thread looking for some specific info about the mini-priced GT40 kit being discussed and I didn't find any way to learn more about this kit. Please, someone, provide a link, address, shoot me an email with a scan of the article in question, heck--at this point I'm even thinking I'd give the chap a phone call from accross the pond if I had his number!

*After reading the account acceptance policy page, I'm pleased to see that you folks are serious GT40ists--THAT'S GREAT!!

p.s.
...please don't delete me for using all caps just then!

Ron Earp

Admin
[ QUOTE ]
*After reading the account acceptance policy page, I'm pleased to see that you folks are serious GT40ists--THAT'S GREAT!!
p.s.
...please don't delete me for using all caps just then!

[/ QUOTE ]

We are serious around here, except in the off-topics area where you might best wear some Nomex, those rules make sure of it! We'll let you slide on the all caps this time.... Welcome aboard!

Back