Gt40 replicas and discussion of pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wanted: Gt40 replica

Edward that was thrilling; I'm absolutely dazzled by your credentials. I so admire people who know how to buy and sell, can attend car shows, (and this one really leaves me breathless) can buy Google stock! And you're a technology visionary as well! The rest of us just don't measure up. Nobody here knows anything about collector cars, battery technology, replicas, Cobras or muscle cars.

I seriously am having a hard time understanding why you have a problem with me. All I did was tell you the bold truth. Who I am where I'm coming from. I find it helps avoid hustlers trying to waste my time. I did not exaggerate. I did not insult or belittle anyone on this website. I didn't even insult you. If you look at the nature of my post. It's defensive.

Also I think this website is filled with GENIUS. I never ever questioned that.
Not once did I say I know more than anyone. I'm just saying that you don't need to put me in my place. I'm not a novice or a dreamer. I'm not here to threaten you or make you look wrong. You were here first. We can all see that. There is no reason to keep drilling you dominance.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

This particular car, if I recall correctly, it was over a year ago.
It had a custom engineered Ricardo transaxle and a highly modified supercharged Ford Racing MRGT ford race engine which costs about $60,000 straight from Ford factory. Then he twin turbo charged it instead of supercharged like the Ford GT, which has the same engine. I think it was "undergroundracing" that did his custom turbo set up. It might be on google somewhere if you search around. I searched and found this.

It costs around $275,000 to build. Just the drivetrain is worth more than most GT40 replicas. I remember that most of the body is carbon fiber and aluminum not fiberglass. Also I know for a fact after the purchase I saw the buyer was registered in Dubai, so he was probably rich, but I wouldn't call him a sucker.
I have been watching the GT40 and Ford GT market pretty intently over the last couple years. I don't ever recall such a project. You're thinking it was a UGR build? Where did you come across this?

Silly website? That's not going to go over well...

Oh my God, I said after you go to war or experience something hardcore little things arent worth getting angry about.
silly compared to going to war and seeing your friend's chest explode and finding the body parts of civilians in a town that your squad called an airstrike. Don;t take what I say out of context please and show some respect for a statement like that.

Maybe silly isn't the best word, but certainly insignificant. If you want to get passionate about something. A car enthusiast website isn't the most constructive. Take that energy and make a difference for humanity.

Ted.com is an example of a website that IS worth getting passionate about

Also, there are many ways to say something, and saying something with anger is never
gong to resolve a conflict. It will only perpetuate one and make this whole website
uncomfortable for others. If you have something to say, and you don't like what I said.
Use a more courteous way of expressing it. Even if you disagree. You will most likely
get a courteous response, and if you don't maybe you will next time

Last edited:

I have been watching the GT40 and Ford GT market pretty intently over the last couple years. I don't ever recall such a project. You're thinking it was a UGR build? Where did you come across this?

Let's see if I can find it. I have it in my notes

my notes say "Extreme, twin turbo. underground, red ext/ black int 225k"
that's all it says. Does that give more info? Did you contact the turbo guys
I think either sold the components or did the installation. I looked them up just now and they are in South Carolina so they probably did not perform the installation.
and the word "Underground" clearly appears in my notes.

I see a lot of cars
but this one is pretty good in my memory. I do remember the buyer was from the
united arab emirates. I also remember that the car was second owner, or maybe third.
I t was a truly amazing build. It could probably hold it's own in a modern race.
A little. Some of those La Mans cars push 2000hp i think.

I know I saw the car on Dupont Registry, I believe they keep an archive.
Look around. It's red exterior. I think it's a Mk2. I also recall one detail. The original
owner probably lived in California. I remember reading the description how you
can't modify a Ford GT, but you can do whatever you want to a 66 replica.
When trying to "sell the turbo set up"
That might explain why so much cash was spent. Someone wanted a smog legal 1000hp supercar built to order, makes sense to me. That's just inductive reasoning and I dont know for sure.

I just remember one more thing, it had brembo brakes

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

This was a GT40 or a Ford GT? I've subscribed to Dupont Registry for 10 years and I simply don't recall this car.

I think what most people are going to take offense to is you coming on to a site as a non owner and proceeding to make assertions about the market and collector car values being depressed. Maybe I misunderstood you. You might be better off saving a bit longer until such time you can enter the market with $100k minimum in your pocket and then be in a position to purchase in a range that you are going to find most GT40s. Setting a range between $25k-$75k is simply not realistic my friend.

after doing a lot of google searching, for "gt40 225,000" a lot of auctions post sold prices. Like the website i Linked earlier. i think i found a clue look what one of the results are, at the bottom of the page, Ford GT

someone said something about a $225,000 GT40 with the "Bianco"
but that is in a 2006 post. So I don't think so. It is curious though isn't it.
Exactly $225,000 sale price but years apart. Maybe these guys are still building?
There aent many Gt40s for sale at exactly $225k. I cant find more than just that clue.

It's possible I assumed it was a superperformance but it was overa year ago, and I'm not positive now that i think about it. That would also explain the "extreme" note I took, although the manufacturer spells it "xtreme" I think evidence points to a car similar to this if not this exact car. Does anyone know how to contact the builder? I'm sure he's on gt40s.com from time to time. www.xtremeclassics.com appears dead

ok now I'm thinking it might be Tornado or a hybrid kit, or have some tornado components,
I found this on google, talking about carbon fiber chassis and parts available.
that's gotta cost a penny, http://www.tornadosportscars.com/GT40/GT40Chassis.html
and I specifically remember the car having a lot of carbon fiber. Most of it custom made.

Last edited:

Much much less than you believe.

Maybe we can work this out. I think this hostility is getting out of hand for what is supposed to be a friendly website where help, advise and camaraderie
in a common appreciation for Classic Ford race cars and the like. It provides a resource for what could be decades to come.

I don't think it's best for fighting and trolling every single word someone says.
If you don't like something, do you have to fill the post they made with a bunch of hate? I don't see how that is tolerant or welcoming. Others on this site may not appreciate you bringing this element to every conversation. I've asked in as many ways I can think of logically and politely to ask that the harassment stop.

What exactly is it about me that has caused you to want to fight with me.
Perhaps we can reach an understanding and if I was out of line, I am a man and can apologize.

This was a GT40 or a Ford GT? I've subscribed to Dupont Registry for 10 years and I simply don't recall this car.

I think what most people are going to take offense to is you coming on to a site as a non owner and proceeding to make assertions about the market and collector car values being depressed. Maybe I misunderstood you. You might be better off saving a bit longer until such time you can enter the market with $100k minimum in your pocket and then be in a position to purchase in a range that you are going to find most GT40s. Setting a range between $25k-$75k is simply not realistic my friend.

You are right, that is exactly what I did just not like that way. I was astonished how low Cobras were selling for at auctions. I've bought a few, i think around 7-8 in the past, when I was a dealer and they were in the 60s for an excellent used kit. I was shocked indeed. I posted that link because this website will be here for years and years and it might help someone either buy a car or sell one. That's why the link was posted.

I don't recall there being a GT40 listed there and GT40s are not Cobras so I don't see how that would apply. I even stated the software cant search for GT40s, only replicas. It's all there, I was clear.

check it out, if you are buying a Ferrari 360, manual. you shouldnt pay more than $72k unless the car is special options. http://www.usedcarsfsbo.com/asp/Use...ke=Ferrari&model=360&year=2000&submit1=Search see it's a great resource. It logs sales all over the internet. I think people wold appreciate that find. Not be threatened by it. After all it's just data.Make of it what you will.

On a related note: 7.12 trillion dollars vanished from our economy in 2008.
Nothing is immune to that fact. I'm sorry to bear bad news but preowned GT40s lost no more than 8%-10% or so, but that is something. Just because there is less money in circulation. Also I am just one person and 9 people from this site PM'd me in 3 days because they are thinking of or selling their GT40 not ONE of them was over $100,000 asking. There are other buyers out there, but those 9 sellers are competing for who has the best car for my budget. That's a buyers market. Denial of that isn't going to change anything. This year I bought my house for $180,00 less than paid for in 2001. I bought my Audi for $1300 under invoice. Half of them want to sell their car and build a new one.

The collector cars will return to maximum value in what I GUESS is 5 years or so. Art and collector items are an all time high when the economy is low. I recommend buying an original or properly restored matching numbers muscle car if you can afford an extra car. We have to grow 7 trillion to be back where we were. So if you don't need cash, keep your GT40 and sell it in 5 years. I truly believe that. which is why i think it's a good purchase with mild investment return for me. When the future cars get here, only classics will remain desirable. A replica will be worth much less, but smog exception is a green law future is appealing for long term ownership. I want to have my Gt40 in 2020. I plan on having my GT40 a long time. A 2006 Corvette Z06 will be worth $10,000 or in a landfill by 2020. So that's my reasoning. I'm not saying I know the future. Just that's where I'm putting my chips

See, I'm plain honest and direct. You don't need to lie and manipulate to buy a car, what can you hope to swindle someone out of? $500? You want to be that kind of a person for $500? The Seller knows what they have for the most part unless they are emotionally in romantic love with the car. they have the receipts and I'm sure they have friends who sell their cars.

All of this is subjective. I am not telling anyone how to think or how it is. Just me and my thoughts. Personal thoughts, not to be inflicted on anyone. I'm not giving investment advice, influence financial investment decisions or trying to persuade anyone to agree with me.

I original stated 11 ppl PM'd me, i counted double it was 9 ppl, i edited it.

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter

...What exactly is it about me....

Michael gets it right in "I think what most people are going to take offense to is you coming on to a site as a non owner and proceeding to make assertions about the market and collector car values being depressed."

As in most social situations what I've seen work really well is demonstrating expertise rather than simply asserting one has it.

For example, if someone says "How does that individual car's history say anything useful about the GT40 market in general?" the guy with the quiet expertise would do his best to explain the logic behind his original assertion.

The guy with all the loud credentials would, instead of answering the question, say something like "You are talking to someone who has bought and sold millions of dollars worth of collector cars in a 14 year and 9 month period as a partner in classic car sales."

See the difference?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter

You are right, that is exactly what I did just not like that way.....

I don't recall there being a GT40 listed there ....

check it out, if you are buying a Ferrari 360, manual....

On a related note: 7.12 trillion dollars vanished from our economy in.....

The collector cars will return to maximum value ....

See, I'm plain honest and direct. You don't need to lie and manipulate to buy a car, ....

Writing concisely, staying on topic, and not lecturing people on things they already know also helps in social situations.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

I found this on google, talking about carbon fiber chassis and parts available.
that's gotta cost a penny and I specifically remember the car having a lot of carbon fiber. Most of it custom made.
I be that was G-MAN's gt40!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

On a related note: 7.12 trillion dollars vanished from our economy in 2008.
Nothing is immune to that fact. I'm sorry to bear bad news but preowned GT40s lost no more than 8%-10% or so, but that is something. Just because there is less money in circulation. Also I am just one person and 9 people from this site PM'd me in 3 days because they are thinking of or selling their GT40 not ONE of them was over $100,000 asking.
I original stated 11 ppl PM'd me, i counted double it was 9 ppl, i edited it.
What's funny is Ford GT prices have been going up sharply over the last 12 months. How do you explain that? I bet I could sell my SPF tomorrow for more than $100k. There are people who are in tight spots who you might get a deal from but almost all of them have already made whatever adjustments they needed to make and the liquidations sales are few and far between. If you can find a low mileage SPF for under a hundred let me know. I'd like another one.

I'm curious what your background is to make such assertions? Are you in finance or econ? How is it that you hold this knowledge that you bear upon us?

I'm curious what your background is to make such assertions? Are you in finance or econ? How is it that you hold this knowledge that you bear upon us?

I wrote this, just above your post
"All of this is subjective. I am not telling anyone how to think or how it is. Just me and my thoughts. Personal thoughts, not to be inflicted on anyone. I'm not giving investment advice, influence financial investment decisions or trying to persuade anyone to agree with me." that was a quote above, I wrote.

My credentials,I'm somewhat educated and I read. I attend functions and business encounters where I can expand my exposure to new technologies. My brother started a collector car dealership and he needed a lot of help we did that for 14 yeas or so that was a long time ago. I started working there when I was 20. I'm an scientist and engineer by trade and currently work for Intel in Nor Cal. 95762 area code. I'm retired from automotive business in every way, that was yeas ago, although I still love cars. I also sell original sculptures and art, which I do as a hobby in my spare time.

That doesn't make me lord of all facts. It doesn't need to. i have the wealth of all human knowledge on my iPhone. I can ask siri, lol Just kidding. I just listed some stuff about me, since you were curious. I don't see any reason those credentials should persuade you to think like me. You should form your own opinions based on data, if it's accurate and complete. Again, I have no intention of persuading anyone to think like me. I'm just stating my hypothesis I developed by using what facts I had at my disposal and inductive reasoning to the best of my ability. -subjective

It's a lot like religious beliefs, personal subjective opinions.

*note if im not mistaken, is a superperformance a continuation of shelby license?
so that's more like a chip foose car. It doesn;t matter what car shelby puts his name on, and it doesnt matter what car foose's name is on either.Shelby isnt going to live forever and SPF is a good long term investment. You have made a wise decision sir. <--that was also my personal opinon.

I did also minor in economics in college, but I honestly forgot most of it.
while ago. I think I get most of my tech and economic knowledge working around certified geniuses which I socialize with at work and through work. Can you imagine what
these guys talk about at lunch? I'm not a super nerd at all by the way.
years of hanging around car guys and that lifestyle. I dont know how to answer that question, I'm trying to do it honestly, but I'm not sure if it was intended as sarcasm.

PPS, i bought an iphone because i didnt get a free android.

Last edited:

Edward that was thrilling; I'm absolutely dazzled by your credentials. I so admire people who know how to buy and sell, can attend car shows, (and this one really leaves me breathless) can buy Google stock! And you're a technology visionary as well! The rest of us just don't measure up. Nobody here knows anything about collector cars, battery technology, replicas, Cobras or muscle cars.

How does being a Cybersecurity Consutlant at ABW Consulting,
make you an expert on automotive mechanics and engineering or value appraisal?
Are you an automotive engineer? Do you have an appraisal's license?
Or do you just have a collective storage of life and lesson as we all do.
Ownership doesn't make someone qualified either. So I don't understand your logic.
I bet, although you are unfriendly, that you probably know a sh!tload about cars.
So do I. Should we now exchange photos of our penises with rulers.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter

How does being a Cybersecurity Consutlant at ABW Consulting, make you an expert on automotive mechanics and engineering or value appraisal?....So I don't understand your logic.

I can help you with your web search skills if you want. But if you must know, this is me: Alan Watkins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And by the way what logic?

But really, Edward, you're taking all this way too seriously. And none of this is helping you find a car. Talk to JohnGT40; he has a nice one. And there's a nice looking KVA on ebay right now. And this guy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

didn't make reserve so maybe you can make a deal with him.

Last edited:

I can help you with your web search skills if you want. But if you must know, this is me: Alan Watkins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And by the way what logic?

But really, Edward, you're taking all this way too seriously. And none of this is helping you find a car. Talk to JohnGT40; he has a nice one. And there's a nice looking KVA on ebay right now. And this guy

1965 ERA FORD GT40 "FAITHFULL REPLICA. ULTRA LOW MILES"!!! 1965 ERA FORD GT40 "FAITHFULL REPLICA. ULTRA LOW MILES"!!! - eBay (item 250942769721 end time Dec-06-11 09:43:46 PST)

didn't make reserve so maybe you can make a deal with him.

I appreciate you being a man and wanting to change the tune and offer some sincere assistance. Seemed we are both stubborn strong opinionated men who don't take sh!t. We probably have the potential to be civil social peers that show respect to one another. If you and I met in person, do you think we would have said what we said to each other in our first introduction? Typing on chat is an awkward way to communicate. We talk man to man, face to face for thousands of years for people to understand one another. Subtle humor and light flavor of words can be taken the wrong way. I offer my sincere apology for being rude.

-if you are not used to reading a lot of chat-type. I type 100+ wpm and can write some confusing stuff.
The researchers and myself at work use instant chat to talk to one another from one side of the building to the next. email is too slow. So grammar, punctuation and spelling (redundant) is something of the past for me. Some thoughts are not written in a format that is easy to follow.

That can also make something I say come off a bit different that what I am actually expressing. Or sound sarcastic or condescending when it's not. It didn't start that way at first, lol.

An in-person-conversation that truly expresses ideas, creativity and emotional thoughts could contain ten thousand words and take 10 minutes, an HOUR!, to discuss back a forth. It's also not easy typing a complicated thing like collector automotive economics and scientific discovery and Law of Accelerating Return (LoAR) principles and how they will effect the immediate future. All that in a paragraph and not leaving open ends- I don't know how to do that. That's why it shouldn't be taken for anything more than a segment of an idea. Because that's all people have the attention span to read. Most people skimmed through this exact post. Look at all this blah blah blah.

I bet if we met at a car show instead of a chatforum,. we'd be buddies. I don't have a single person in real life that I consider to be someone I don't like strongly. That tells me this written exchange is most likely atypical for both of us. Have you got into a fist fight with anyone in a grocery store lately? lol, me either.

PS I dig the Stash

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back