GT40 Roadster: Opinions?

Hey Everyone,

First off, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Max Fischer, and I live in Richmond, Virginia, USA. I work as a cinematographer on mainly short-format projects (music videos and commercials), so that gives me a lot of time for my other passion; cars!

Well, I've got the GT40 bug, and have decided to build one. I'll be on a very tight budget, but performance and authenticity (to a certain extent) are not imperative.

I think I want to build it as a roadster. I figure that the cost to do the modifications will be less than or equal to air conditioning, plus I won't have to worry about my mild case of clausterphobiain a 40" tall car!!!

Here are my options, and personal opinions on each:

Simply cut the spider at the rear hoop and the doors at the sills, leaving the starndard windshield and frame. I would definitely pass on this, as it makes the car look a lot like a Corvette for some reason. It also just seems like a cheesy chop job.

Buy an original GT40 roadster windshield and frame from Fran Kress If you've never seen this, it's very hip. BUT...the winshield shape is VERY different from a standard GT40, and some people may not like it. It is narrower and taller, and slightly hurts the agressive roof line of the GT40. Could this hurt resale value?

Make some sort of T-tops for a standard GT-40. I know that Safir and Tornado offered this. Does anyone have this setup? How is it? Would it be an easy thing to modify. Would it be difficult to keep air/water/sound tight?

Or should I just forget the whole idea, use a standard body, and buy air conditioning?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Max.

Ron Earp

Admin
I'll be brief and not long winded - Use a standard body, buy AC. One reason MKIIIs, GT40 targas, and MkIVs are not as popular - folks don't seem to like the looks as much. This was discussed along with the targa idea on a thread a long time ago, you might find with a search.

Seriously, if you are interested to take a look at one in progress both Lynn Larsen and myself are building in Raleigh, only a few hours drive. Call anytime,

Ron
wink.gif

G

Max,

As Ron said, feel free to come down to the triangle. I'd be happy to show you my car.

If you want to build a GT-40 Roadster, there is only one available that I am aware of. That is the GT3 Roadster being built in Jensen Beach, FL. Call the GT3 Corporation at 561-334-9555. This car is fully developed and will be on the open market imminently. I have inspected it closely and it is put together very nicely. It is a Mk III body style from all new molds. The cabin layout provides much more room, especially in the foot well area, over standard Mk I models. It also employes the flush aircraft style gas fillers in the traditional positions. Carbon Fiber is used in stressed areas and Kevlar is used in areas of puncture concern: firewall and rocker panels over the gas tanks.

The only departure is the rear deck which is a hatch back rather than a pivoting rear clip. This was necessary because of the new rules in England which has made the Mk I in its standard form a thing of the past over there. The pivoting rear clip is seen as a safety hazard because the rear lights would be pointed down and not visible to oncoming traffic in a side of the road repair situation.

There are several options with regards to drive train, but the turn key cars are going to be using a 351 EFI (4 barrel style throttle body) engine and Porsche G50 transaxle. I am not sure what the price tag is going to be, but John at GT3 is very good to work with.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Max, you might want to talk with Bob Wood at Safir GT40. At least two of Peter Thorp's Safir cars were built as roadsters, including the first Mark V and also one that is for sale right now in Hemmings' Motor News. There is also a mod that can be done with the tops of the doors detachable but this will add more leaks to a car that is already not the tightest thing on the road.
Frankly I agree with Lynn and Ron- except that I would add sliding window panels as on 1019, I think it is, in John Allens' book, at least you might get some air thru there.

There is one her in Atlanta-primairily(sp?) a track car. Will be at the Atlanta Historic Races this weekend. oLooks "ok", easier to get in and out and sig. cooler. Will find pics if you want. cb

G

Max

Take a look at pictures of Ray Christophers spyder on the GTD40 Car Club web site at www.gtd40club.co.uk as he's taken a standard GTD40 shell and chopped it as you described in your option one. He has put in a funny looking roll cage to comply with regs for competition which doesn't improve the looks one bit. However bear in mind that he does not have a standard chassis underneath so his interior and other parts are not regularly available!

My opinion is either keep with a MK1 or do a genuine copy of the proper spyder. You pays your money and takes your choice!

Malcolm

G

Hi Max

I think Ray Christopher's spyder is one of the nicest cars I've seen. Speaking only for myself the only time I would drive the car is on a nice sunny day. Again speaking only for myslef, a car like this wouldn't be a daily driver, but rather a toy. Probably spend more time fideling with it than driving it. I'd prefer to play with the roof off soaking up the rays. We only get a few months of the year to play in the sun in Toronto. But it sure does look nice with the roof intact.

I do understand that a lot of people out there live in warmer areas where somedays it's too hot to drive with the top off and A/C is a welcome addition. Also I think it would be better aerodynamically for track days with the roof on.

There are just so many Pros both ways. I guess it comes back to what you like and what you want to spend. The T-tops I think is a good idea as is gives you the best of both worlds, although you have to figure out what to do with the side windows. I can't see taking them off everytime you drive with the roof off. Also it has to be sealed properly as I can invision a draft problem. I have a photo of one from South Africa with a T-roof. I'll try to attach it, if I can't let me know and I'll send it to you directly.

Regards
Paul Campoli

Max

I think you'd have a problem using the standard windshield and frame for a roadster.
There is simply not enough support in the
A-post area. I assume that's why the
original roadsters were designed the way they
were.

I have seen Fran's roadster and it is NOT unattractive. That's the way I'd do it.

MikeDD

Keeping on topic I'd go with the closed car and A/C also. Off topic: Is that an optical illusion or is that roll bar attached to the bodywork on Ray's Spyder?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
No, I think it goes down between two layers of a double bulkhead and mates up with the base of the tub down in there. Also it is braced diagonally back towards the back of the engine cradle, if I am not mistaken.

Back