GT40 Transaxle.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Of course, you are correct Neil, There isn't really anything I can remove from my SLC so that leaves it to replacing with lighter parts piece by piece. I've looked at that but even 100 pounds would be very difficult. The cheapest way would be to take the first 25 pounds off of ME!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Perhaps its time to stop all the cheating and make everyone use engine parts that produce 1966 power levels along with tire sizes and compound as used in the day. No, never work would it.... cant believe I just wrote this..
That would be great! Another great equalizer would be to force them all to run the same organic / asbestos brake pad compounds and standard DOT3 brake fluid.

The 930 4 speed was briefly mentioned earlier in the thread - I'd put in a vote for that. I have a 440 chev hilborn injected with nearly 600ft/lbs in front of one in an inverted configuration, racing on 335 wide slicks, and have done about 30 sprint races with standing starts and have done 2 oil changes on it and that's it. Synchro's getting slightly tired but I think that's mainly the rifle-bolt shifter arrangement which is short and very direct. And it is small and light. Different gears are available to suit engine character. Cheers, Andrew

The 930 4 speed was briefly mentioned earlier in the thread - I'd put in a vote for that. I have a 440 chev hilborn injected with nearly 600ft/lbs in front of one in an inverted configuration, racing on 335 wide slicks, and have done about 30 sprint races with standing starts and have done 2 oil changes on it and that's it. Synchro's getting slightly tired but I think that's mainly the rifle-bolt shifter arrangement which is short and very direct. And it is small and light. Different gears are available to suit engine character. Cheers, Andrew
I think you bring up a very important point Andrew... quite simply because the 930 seems to be so strong and very few if any failures it gets very little 'air time' here on the forum. Something that others could learn from. In the GT40 replica case most trans will have had some previous use as well

I’m leaning towards the Holinger MFT 6sp sequential. It’ll fit an SPF.

Older pic, but you can see it fits in a GT40 pretty well.

Attachments

• 20200918_142721.jpg
    20200918_142721.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 377
Hi Warren. Have you considered the Holinger MFT? Australian made and supported, and rated to some ridiculous torque levels for 24hr racing. Mine is behind a twin turbo V8, and they reckon it's well within capacity. Not cheap, but an SL-90 is also in the upper end of the price scale.

Troy,

What does the Holinger MFT run?

Again;
Porsche G50 (and probably G96/97) will fit quite good. You will need to fabricate some sort of support cradle up to the crossmember and build your own shifter linkage. Have a cad model of a quaife upgrade box for porsche 997 in an chassie drawn to original prints.

Graziano will also work but you will have to move the engine a bit, shave off some material in the horse collar like they did to make room for the T44 in mk2, or a combination of both. The graziano is quite big and bulky, the differential is a bit closer to the engine flange and the diff housing offset.

Hi: A few years ago a 1992 GTD Mk II was advertised with a SADEV transaxle in the Netherlands (Breda). So it has been done. I took a look at the car back then. I dug up a photo but it does not reveal too much about the transaxle. I could probably get you in contact with the sales agent, but I never met him or the then owner in person.

Attachments

• IMG_20180719_135249.jpeg
    IMG_20180719_135249.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
As there is no warranty from Quaife this can be sold off. All the internals are new so good for spares. The ZFQ isn’t strong enough for a track.

Attachments

• 24C1886F-514C-419D-BA4E-F0A8E9560890.jpeg
    24C1886F-514C-419D-BA4E-F0A8E9560890.jpeg
    451.7 KB · Views: 217

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
And a 2 piece case . Sorry I couldn’t resist. Hopefully you find a transaxle that will handle the abuse of racing and still fit within the confines of your car.

Regards Brian

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
So I just finished putting in a Quaife one piece mainshaft in my UN1, so why would they not do that on their own design as I would think that would be stronger?

Back