GT40 weights

just did mine the other day, full fuel, roush 427i, rbt zf

Attachments

• photo[1].jpg
    photo[1].jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 350
My CAV with me and a half tank of gas was roughly 2,725 as I recall....as measured on the scales at my local dump. I'm 200lbs so I guess that's around 2,525 w/o driver. 302 with alloy heads and an Audi 016.

I'm pretty sure that's the first GT40 that's been on the dump's scales.....

Realy wonder what the difference between a GTD and a TORNADO could be to cause such significant weight difference of 523 lbs. It is not the engine, not the transaxle. The frame is not much different. It could be the panelling (evtly steel vs aluminium) but again that can not account for that difference.
Any other Tornado weights out there ?

BTW the reason for the RCR beeing the lightest in this trio is no side windows:)
TOM

Tom,
I think that the Tornado mentioned has an aluminum block.......
As for the RCR, it is definately more stripped down than the other two, Scott

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
The Tornado mentioned does not have an aluminium block.

Our cars are the lightest GT40 replica you can buy.

Thanks

Andy

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
2200 lbs fully fueled in full standard road trim with A/C which weighs an additional 56lbs.

This car was not there either.

Thanks

Andy

Attachments

• weighb1.jpg
    weighb1.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 252
Andy, sorry if I was mistaken. Thought I read it somewhere.....

I think I can save a couple pounds getting rid of those spinners too! Do you sell the nuts?

Very interesting Andy, those are nice weights under 1.000kg
guess thats the mild steel version?
are those galvenized chassis or "painte"
do you also have weights from that alu mono version in "road" trim?

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
cscott

We only have the nuts for our own wheels.

Rene

Those weights are for a spaceframe based car. The same with our aluminium monocoque would be 1960 lbs

Thanks

Andy

My steel framed 1990 GTD corner weights as follows: RF = 620 lbs. LF = 610 lbs.
RR = 750 lbs. LR = 775 lbs.
Thats with each side tank half full and 180lbs. in the drivers seat (LF).
Thats a 45% front and 55% rear with a total of 2755 lbs. including driver and fuel or 2491 lbs. without driver and fuel. This car is fully upholstered, has A/C galvinized and painted frame, a lowered floor pan, added rear engine bay fans, light weight odessey battery, stainless steel floor pan and wheel housing gladding, Renault transaxle, 15 inch ally wheels, modified 65 289 with iron heads and ally intake and a plastic rear outside window. That should give you enough detail to work things out.

Last edited:
@Bud, your GT40 on the scale has also a good balance, but is that with you inside I understand? is that why the GTD in the opening post has such "big" difference in left and right? he weighted it without the driver?

@Andy...respect, sounds very good

I saw one CAV with that 427 etc,
weighs in at 1245kg?, say it has 550hp then it is 2.26kg per hp.
so the Tornado space-frame weighs 945kg?,
then it needs "only" 420hp to have that "same" 2.25kg per hp.
but needs a bit less fuel and less harder on the brakes due to the weight.

does anybody knows the SPF weights?

do they speak about the mk2 weight or alos the mk1?

GT40 continuation collectible is licensed and endorsed by Safir GT40 Spares LLC, as a true "continuation" of the original. Each hand crafted GT40 carries the GT40 -P chassis number and is registry eligible. The versions that are currently offered are the MK1 or MK11 "A" and "B" body styles, available in right or left hand drive, and have a curb weight of 2400 lbs.

GT40 Specifications

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Bob

Its been a few years ago but I am sure we will have it somewhere. I will see if I can find it.

light weight is not just about increased power to weight for any given engine but improved stopping power and better handling.

These are the reasons we look at the weight of each part. It all adds up at the end of the day.

Some of the figures I have seen for other cars over the years are equal to carrying a spare engine that does not run.

Thanks

Andy

Glenn M

Supporter
My Southern GT was due its first MOT test recently, (amazing how quickly three years has passed), and as part of the brake test process it was weighed. With me in it, it was 1056kg. As I currently weigh 86kg this means that the car is 970kg or 2134lbs. That is with a/c and a full roll cage – a bit of a mixture of specifications I know but I take my cool down lap very seriously!

Glenn

Back