GT90 from ground up

o.....my.....gosh....

That is incredible. I commend your dedication! Must be a good feeling to see it comming togeather. Looks great!

did you use any computer programs to get the rib mesurments correct? or did you just put a ruler on a picture and hope for the best??

also, is the mesh/ribs lying flat enouph that you can just lay the fiberglass right on it? or will you need to putty it up and smooth out all the little edges from the ribs. (I have never seen this method, usually people use foam it seems instead of wire mesh) Are you planning on building a mold off this and hten a body? or the body directly on this, and then removing the wood from underneath it? So many questions! keep us posted.

Thanks for the kind words guys, yes it is really great seeing it starting to evolve and look like it's going to be.

Richard
I was down at Clipsal500 and talking to some offroad racers, apparently a company called Albons in Melbourne build their transaxles the guys said they have tried really, really hard and not been able to break one.
The units look similar to the G50/52 but more ruggedised, they were running six speed sequential boxes, hanging of some serious power plants.

neongtsr
This will be glassed, then bogged and sanded(many times)
Moulds will then be taken from this plug/body buck/pattern, which will then go into storage.
Des

thanks for the fast reply, I've checked it 4 times today for updates (I love this type of project, I have dozens of bookmarks on homebuilt cars/fiberglass bodies. But you missed a question

did you use any computer programs to get the rib mesurments correct? or did you just put a ruler on a picture and hope for the best??

Hi Des

Looking great mate, it feels good when you start to see the shape come out.

How many hours a week do you get on the project?

Its very interesting to compare your method to the ribs/foam/skin route I'm using

Cheers

Fred W B

Great build and so labour intensive, how many hours has it taken you to get to this point?.

Keep it up my friend, you will have an awesome sportscar when finished.....:)

Italo

neongtsr
Yes and No, I did not measure pics and hope for the best. Pics were used to double check how things should look.
Fred
What are you building, do you have a build log showing your method?
Italo
Many many hours, no longer counting,
Some weeks such as last 2, I may only get 1-2 hrs as, my main business, sometimes requires all weekend work. Seeing as it's financing everything, it kind of gets preference.
Others I get all weekend and 3-4 hrs most afternoons.
Des

Fred
I learn something every day (which is great)
I guess there is always more than one way to skin a cat/car.
Well done, I appreciate the effort you have put in.
Des

Hi Des

I have heard of Albins - I believe they modify existing Porsche transaxles and custom build their own gearsets. It's been a while since I've looked them up - maybe they are doing their own transaxle now based around the Porsche design.

I wish I had been at the Clipsal! What a brilliant race it always is.

Richard
Could well be that is what they are doing, side plates seemed different and output shafts were huge.
Unfortunatley my pics of the transaxles did not work out.
If memory serves they are using Torsen allgear LSD.
Clipsal is a great 4 days, some of the locals take the time off work and party hard for the entire event. Not sure how much they remember afterward though.
Des

Thanks for the link Pete, the offroad guys may be buying rebuilt Porsche units.
Didn't know you were lurking on this one
Des

Got some time on the beast over the last couple of days.
Meshed on top of rear guards as far as tail lights and down sides around rear wheel arch.
Now we see if Murphy says I need to buy another sheet or not.....
Des

Attachments

• DSC02737.JPG
    DSC02737.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,749
  • DSC02738.JPG
    DSC02738.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,793
  • DSC02739.JPG
    DSC02739.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,950
Finally some more pics
meshed "V" recut the stations under the guards to fit chassis and added "tail lights" in prep for meshing
extended slope on inner edge of guards to rear alongside tail lghts(roughed at this point)
meshing the valley/rear deck next
Des

Attachments

• DSC02740.JPG
    DSC02740.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,549
  • DSC02741.JPG
    DSC02741.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,568
  • DSC02742.JPG
    DSC02742.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 2,264
  • DSC02743.JPG
    DSC02743.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,659
  • DSC02746.JPG
    DSC02746.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,536
damn it man you almost killed me !

i was drinking my coffee when i saw the thread had an update, i choked !

shit, this thing looks awesome especially the "brake lights" it just looks awesome AWESOME ! AWESOME !

rockonsmile

:pepper:

LOUD AND PROUD !

Thanks for the kind words.

White like the original but with a slate and black interior.
I spent too many years driving company cars with blue interiors, so no not blue inside.
Des

Back