GT90 from ground up

Thanks to all for the comments and for the pic, it gives it a certain added sense of reality (somebody's got more spare time than me)
Des

That is an absolute work of art. I imagine it is like watching Antonio Stradivarius crafting one of his violins or violas.

Thanks for sharing this process with us.

Dalton

pschile
It's expanded aluminium that has been rolled flat.

Sorry no new pics yet, been "snowed under" with my main business.

Front guards and sides of arch now skinned and rough sanded
Had to change one of the "lines" from wheel arch top to indicator light before skinning, I was not happy with how it flowed.
Black is one of those "seemed like a good idea at the time" things.
I had marked the lights and ducts on the mesh while doing the line change and did clean it off, resin subsequently dissolved and bled the black, oh well live and learn.......
Des

Attachments

• DSC02798.jpg
    DSC02798.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,607
  • DSC02801.jpg
    DSC02801.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,549
  • DSC02802.jpg
    DSC02802.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,515
neongtsr
sounds good, would have to kick the grandsons out first though....

mark
similar to moulding
basically - make a positive, take it to glass m/f and they create negative (mould - tooling) and then they heat shape the glass to the negative
this applies for screen, roof, door tops and engine cover
screen itself has to be laminated for rego here.
hth
Des

jonathan
I am expecting the tooling and initial set of 5 pieces of glass to be somewhere approaching $8-10k OZ
as always it will depend on which side of the bed the guy gets out of, on the day I get it done (murphy will most likely have some input so probably closer to the higher figure)
I will know more once I have a set of positives to get actual costings
(the screen, roof and doors are compound curves - ie. costly for tooling)

russ
sorry nothing has changed to look at, basically just lots of surface sanding and dust creation in preparation for "putty"
I will post some once that starts going on in next few days
Des

its pretty amazing actually, now that the wood + aluminum are done, the fiberglassing is taking you very little time it seems, I guess now that they shaping is done, its just a matter of a thin fiberglass coat.

What do you think the rigitity of the body will be like when you pull it off the wood?

I may be wroing, but I think this will be used as a 'plug' to make a female mold from and it's that which will be laid with fibreglass to make the bodies.

neongtsr
simon is correct, this is plug used to make a female or negative mould which will then be used to produce final body panels.
once finished and moulds taken, the plug will go into storage (normally the plug is trashed but I can't bring myself to do that)

I have used mdf primarily, all the cutouts have been cycled through for glue blocks/small parts etc
also many small bits of pine stud/old pallet timber for glue blocks in corners

the 3d modelling has been done using "grey matter" software running on a single user organic computer

sorry.... coudn't resist, no my 3d cad skills are lacking

thanks again for your comments and interest
Des

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Des

Love the work you are doing and am highly impressed with the level of skill and attention to detail you are putting into this project.
Quick question though, what will / are you doing for tail lights.

Do you have a source or will you be having these made as custom units.

The reason for my asking is what sort of costing is involved in having these items made on a low production scale.

Dimi

Back