GTD Fuel Level Sender

Can anyone tell me what the fuel level sender was that GTD used as standard. My tank has the 6 hole pattern for a UK type sender and a 1 1/2" dia hole for the float and internals to fit through. My guess is that GTD raided the parts bin and used something fairly standard at the time such as a Mini or MGB sender. Any help is much appreciated.

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
As a follow up to this, has anyone fitted an accurate sender unit to work with the Smith gauges. Neither have mine have been accurate (useable) since i have had the car. Numerous removals and bending of wire hasn't worked either. I have now resorted to running off one tank and when it runs out, switch to the other tank (horrendously dangerous on a motorway) and refilling the first tank at the first available opportunity.
I have thought about a capacitive sender unit, but it appears the electronics to mate with the gauge are a bit complicated.

As a follow up to this, has anyone fitted an accurate sender unit to work with the Smith gauges. Neither have mine have been accurate (useable) since i have had the car. Numerous removals and bending of wire hasn't worked either. I have now resorted to running off one tank and when it runs out, switch to the other tank (horrendously dangerous on a motorway) and refilling the first tank at the first available opportunity.
I have thought about a capacitive sender unit, but it appears the electronics to mate with the gauge are a bit complicated.
I ended up using a couple of Gauge Wizards from Spiyda.com. My senders were in a resistance range totally reversed for my Stewart Warner gauges but the gauge wizard allowed me to correct for that and to correct for the fact that the tapered GT40 tanks give a non linear reading as they empty. By that I mean that full to 3/4 is a lot more fuel than 1/4 to empty if you work purely on fuel depth because of the tank shape. Highly recommend them, £40 each if you buy two.

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
I ended up using a couple of Gauge Wizards from Spiyda.com. My senders were in a resistance range totally reversed for my Stewart Warner gauges but the gauge wizard allowed me to correct for that and to correct for the fact that the tapered GT40 tanks give a non linear reading as they empty. By that I mean that full to 3/4 is a lot more fuel than 1/4 to empty if you work purely on fuel depth because of the tank shape. Highly recommend them, £40 each if you buy two.
I have just ordered two of the Spiyda controllers, so hoping that will be a fix. Thank you.

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
How did you wire them in? This 2 wire earth return sender has me totally confused! I was expecting one side of the sender to be ground, but neither is :(. Just noticed, yours aren’t Smiths gauges :(

@IanAnderson - Do you have a wiring diagram for the gauge/sender wiring?

After numerous problems with Smiths senders which use plastic float bearing which seems to be affected by modern petrol because when taken off the tank after a couple of weeks they work fine, I now use Wema fuel level senders converted to work with Smiths gauges, so far fine.

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
After numerous problems with Smiths senders which use plastic float bearing which seems to be affected by modern petrol because when taken off the tank after a couple of weeks they work fine, I now use Wema fuel level senders converted to work with Smiths gauges, so far fine.
How on earth did you get those to work, as they don't reach the bottom of the weirdly shaped fuel tank unless angled?

How on earth did you get those to work, as they don't reach the bottom of the weirdly shaped fuel tank unless angled?
The mounting hole on each tank is directly above the bottom of the angle in the tank, different lengths of senders are available and mounting has to be adapted also Wema have to reverse the sender electronics to match the Smiths gauges or they read full when empty and empty when full.
DE5076A8-ED84-4255-BD3E-458306A392C6.jpeg

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
I hope I have overcome the problem. Two controllers from Spiyda and a special “GT40” fuel tank sender from WEMA should fix it. Time will tell.

83161F6E-6836-4C26-87D3-2896087C0CEE.jpeg

Back