gtd gt40 on ebay

MWGT40

Supporter
Sounds too good to be true at the current bid of $22,500 although I note that the reserve has not been met and there are still 9 days left.

I expect it to go significantly higher than that. Does anybody know the story as to why it is for sale?

Ron Earp

Admin
Plate says it is made by Cape Advanced Vechicles, or CAV. Be interesting to see how much he can pull out of Ebay marketing and his description. "Not a Kit Car!". I'm still trying to figure that one out.

If a bunch of folks in a building assemble the car from parts it is not a kit car. If me and my best bud assemble the car from parts it is a kit car. Nevermind if I can take longer to get it right (no salary), might have more skill (could happen), or just care more (definitely). Great looking car though in the pictures, I'd be proud to have built it.

In my many years (and it goes back to UUNET days and newsgroups) of selling on the net I find I can get better prices on the net than selling locally. Same for Ebay, typically inflated.

Be interesting to watch.

Ron

[ May 13, 2002: Message edited by: R. Earp ]

[ May 13, 2002: Message edited by: R. Earp ]

I assumed it was for sale by one of the new
CAV dealers. Maybe it's one of the early CAV
customers who has decided to go monocoque.

You can bet the reserve is close to what CAV
sold these for (and then some).

MikeD

I always like to look at the sellers feedback and other auctions. Noticed in aemhigh's feedback that a couple of recently sold items were a relish tray and fiestaware. Funny, quite a step from selling a relish tray to selling a GT40.
shocked.gif

G

It might hit the $70K plus figure ..It is
60100 and climbing quickly..

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
It does look nice. Nice phoney Gurney-Weslake valve covers, too.
So let me see if I have got this right- the car CAV/GTD build is not a kit car if they build it, but it is a kit car if YOU build it, but it's just as good either way, right, etc etc etc. Sounds to me like they want their cake and eat it too.
I agree with Ron; especially if the builder starts with a well-thought-out kit, the result of his considerable investment in time and committed effort is frequently much nicer than that done in the factory by 9-5ers. We all know the build quality of the original cars was frequently just OK, after all they were built to win races, sort of disposable items in a way.
Persuing Ronnie Spain's book, it is interesting how many GT40s left Slough without engines and were finished by racing teams, or owners, or other shops. Sure sound like kit cars to me...
Kit cars...this month's C/D has an article on, I think, the AutoRama hot rod show, if I've got it right, even in those tiny pictures the finish and build quality of those cars is astonishing. One-offs done by a small group of people, not in a factory, gee, they sound like kit cars, too.
It comes down to who does the building and what they begin with, far more and any label like "kit" car or "factory" car. My two cents.

G

My car isn't a kit car.....Its a self assembled supercar. If you overtake me, I will stop to discuss the issue!
grin.gif

Malcolm

G

I think the word kit means a collection of parts, a factory car means a car that was assembled from parts at a factory. Some people do a great job building their own cars and others not so good. Factory cars should be well finished and in the end have a better resale value. The AC car that Shelby imported was a factory car, just like the cav or superformance cars. There were lots of cars in England that were built and had different engines fitted. Shelby I believe had a dream that he owned AC, Im not really sure if this is true. The cars that came to the states had a plate on them that claimed they were made in California, my AC bristol had a plate that said made in England. In the end it really does not matter, as long as your happy with you machine. Im very pleased with my superperformance car, and am pleased I went that road. At my age I dont need the problems that one has that assembles their own car, I have been there and done that.

MWGT40

Supporter
Does anybody know where you can buy the replica Gurney Weslake valve covers - like in the car on E-bay, and how much they cost?

MWGT40

Supporter
Does anybody know where you can buy the replica Gurney Weslake valve covers - like in the car on E-bay, and how much they cost?

If it's an officially licensed item, then you should be able to contact All American Racers and they should be able to tell you. But you never know - the guy might have had those valve covers sitting around in his garage for 20 years and built the car as an excuse to use them
tongue.gif

THE YOUNG MAN CERTAINLY IS NOT BASHFULL ABOUT TAKING ALL THOSE "EDITORIAL LIBERTIES". I WONDER IF HE GOT THROUGH IT ALL WITHOUT LAUGHING OUT LOUD.

BUT - - - IT IS A GREAT LOOKING CAR !!

Y'ALL HAVE AREALLY GREAT DAY,

BLACKJACK

It´s up running again...
Fail to meet the reserve !...
Way to high in my "book"!
Never the less, looks great.
But the seller is writing a lot of s**t !
I agree !...

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Back