GTD rear upright conversion

The rear GTD uprights I have, were originally made for drum brakes (see first pic)
I've obtained a rear disc setup from a MK 3 granada and am trying to see about adapting the rear uprights to fit the discs.
After removing the drum assembly, I found a plate with a 70mm hole (approx) welded over the main body of the upright. The main part of the upright has an 82mm hole in it, suitable for the flange on the base of the hub to fit inside. I think I should replace the 5mm steel I removed with a section of plate to re-strengthen the upright and to give the bolts holding the hub in place something to "bite" on. I think however, before I go any further, I should get some "cosworth" hubs, as the "ears" for the calipers, stick out further and mean I won't have to chop away at the fabric of the upright.
All the welding will be done by a competent welder friend of mine who builds chassis and race cars, so if there are any structural issues, he will put me right. I'm just asking if anyone else has converted their hubs and if there's anything else I should take into consideration. Any advice much appreciated.

Simon

Attachments

• upright-1.jpg
    upright-1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 420
  • upright-2.jpg
    upright-2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 446
  • upright-5.jpg
    upright-5.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 394
HHMMMMM...........it now seems that I may already have the correct (longer) hub carriers. This may entail some reliefs being cut into the upright!

Last edited:
Cosworth hub "ears" for caliber are only 10 mm longer than Sierra/Scorpio/Granada mk3 ones; is that enough?

You may have noticed that bearing -inside- and outside diameters are not similar between "drumhub" and "dischub"; must use stub and flange (not sure about terms) from Si/Sc/Gr for 100 mm joint or 2wd Cossy for 108 mm joint.

Yes, sorry Ron, just wanted it to get to the widest audience for criticism. Please feel free to move it.

Simon

Mike Pass

Supporter
The last time I was at Southern GT Mick Sollis had some fabricated new uprights for a GTD which use the Mk3 granada /scorpio hubs. Check out with Mick as they would be very much lighter than what you have.
Cheers
Mike

Thanks mike,

I'l probably stick with the GTD uprights for the time being.
If anyone has any closeups of Disc braked rear uprights I'd be grateful to see how they differ from drums.
Thanks
Simon

Simon,
Come round and see mine. They are off the car at the moment. You can take all the pics you want. I also have Micks's rear uprights.

Brett
PS Working at home today (Wednesday)

Back