GTD Starter Motor with Canton 15-644 Sump

I am in the final stages of my 302 rebuild for my GTD40. I have fitted a Canton 15-644 sump but when I came to mount the starter, the solenoid fouls the flare of the sump (the main body of the starter would fit with some gentle 're-profiling' of the sump).

I started to look at a more compact starter, particularly one with a solenoid that can be mounted at a different position relative to the starter mounting holes but them hit the problem of identifying the current starter!

The only text on the starter is "2005823 943 Germany 0 001 311 047 12V 73 6B 11000AA" the length from bolt faces is 195mm, diameter approx 100mm.

Any ideas what it is so that I stand a fighting chance of buying something that will work!

Plan B is to modify the position of the mounting holes on the transition plate
Plan C is to modify the mounting lugs on the starter
and
Plan D is to take the sump off again and modify that..... :)

Well its nice to have options isn't it - of course it would be even nicer to have a starter that fits (and works!)

All the best

Dave

Dave, if its any conselation i fitted a Canton dry sump pan to my LS1, and low and behold i had two problems , firstly it wouldnt fit the engine with the windage tray in place, little fettle fixed that, then the starter motor wouldn't fit because the flange was in the way, 4" grinder fixed that one. it seems to be common unfortunately
cheers John

Having done some more digging on line the existing starter is an Essex starter (and flywheel/ring gear), Lucas model S151.
There are several replacement Hi Torque geared units out there, the Powerlite 1.0kw unit looks like the lead contender given that it can be rotated 360 degrees relative to the mounting bolts.
Does anyone have any experience of these (or others)?

Thanks for the photos Frank! Both yourself and Mick Sollis recommended the same supplier and unit so I will get one ordered and bolt it in!

Thanks once again

Dave

Back