GTD40 steering Colomn

The GTD seams to have a Triumph Dolomite Steering column.

I was wondering, when I tighten the nut to lock the position (vertical movement of the steering wheel), it locks this movement but it doesn't lock the sliding movement of the steering column itself...I can still pull the steering wheel in and outwards. Unless I push it totally in, so getting smaller, it locks with a small notch...but there is no in between...

These pictures are from the Triumph forum.
The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum • View topic - Steering Column

The locking mechanism
column1.jpg

The long position
column3.jpg

The short position
column4.jpg

Is this normal and so only the "shortest" option can be used ?

Does anyone now which screwthread the steering column has to fix the steering wheel hub ? (my scewthread is damaged so need to rethread it, luckly I found the missing steering wheel nut back between the window and body, it was used as support to fill the gap. :shocked:)

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Andy,

Sorry I can't help with the steering column issue as mine has been modified to be adjustable.

The steering wheel retaining nut thread can probably be identified by measuring the diameter and thread pitch and refering to a thread chart such as a Zeus chart. Here is one on Ebay.
Zeus precision chart data charts + reference tables for workshop tools RDGTools | eBay

They are very useful for reference with tapping sizes, clearance drill sizes etc.

Cheers
Mike

Hi Andy,

It seems that I have the same steering column as yours...

I checked again few minutes ago, and when I loose the black plastic knob, the column can move up and down and back and forth.
Tightening back that knob, locks the column in its position, whichever it is...

However, in my particular car, only the shortest is of any use, any other position put the wheel too close from my chest... : I'm thinking about shortening the column a bit, to gain some more useful adjustment possibility

Last edited:
Hi Pierre,
When I tighten the nut, I see it squeezes the top section but there is plenty of room for the bottom and middle of the beam to keep sliding. Looks like it bottoms out at the top before the middle and lower sections tightens.
mhhh....good to know it should work in all positions, I need to dig into it further. While turning the steering wheel, I see the column wobbles a bit. Looks like it is bend a little bit. I am able to make 3.75 turns with the steering rack. Is that normal so much turns.

Mike,
I found the nut and I was able to "repair" the screwthread on the column by filling off the first 2 threads with a M16 tapping set. (Make it conical). It works now so the nut and column are married again :shy:

Cheers
Andy

Malcolm

Supporter
Chop the top spline off and weld on a removable steering wheel lug so you can have a removable steering wheel. Really helps getting in and out of the car and will solve your current problem as well.

Chop the top spline off and weld on a removable steering wheel lug so you can have a removable steering wheel. Really helps getting in and out of the car and will solve your current problem as well.

That's precisely what I was thinking about... And I've found a very nice period steering wheel, with a lovely patina, which will replace the ugly 13' GTD stock wheel. That "new" wheel is in 15', so removable feature will be mandatory !

With the column on max upward position, no problem, it'll clear my (small :D) knees... And will help a bit to manage with the quick ratio steering rack installed on the car (nice on track, but not so downtown...:uneasy:)

Hi Andy,
whilst you've got the car at this stage, why don't you consider fitting an EPAS column. I'm really pleased with the outcome on mine, now it's on the road

Regards,
Andy

Back