GTD40 Suspension Bushes

Hi. I've been building my GTD40 for 14 years ( is this a record ? )and I'm trying to finish it this year. I'm having the rear suspension re-chromed and want to replace all of the rubber bushes. Given the demise of GTD, does anyone have any info on where I can get hold of replacements ? I'm in the UK near Hungerford. Thanks. Stuart.

Hello -

Ray Christopher of GTD Racing can supply Harder Nylon bushes with Steel tube centres if required - they work far better than the older rubber style inserts that tend to move to one end or other depending on location and load.

Alternatively - modify your existing trailing arms + upper hub link by welding tapped inserts into each end to allow fitment of rose joints.

Safety Note - Please ensure inserts are quality welded as they take quite a load.

Thinking of which - I was passenger in Dave Parkers R42 at Castle Coombe a couple of years ago - when we had the rear ns link on his lower trailing arm break whilst braking for Avon Rise from about 130mph - now that was interesting!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Hi, Paul.

Thanks for the info - do you have any contact details for Ray/ GTD Racing ? I think I'll stick to bushes for now ! I don't think my weldings up to it !

Thanks

Stuart

Brian Magee

Supporter
Stuart

Where have you been hiding all of these years? I am just down the road in Newbury.

I believe Ray Webber at Mirage GTD Automotive Engineering in Poole has a list of GTD suppliers and may be able to help. His number is 0794 175 2760

Brian.

Just telephone "Powerflex" and tell them i recommended you to contact them and they will supply you direct with a perfect fitting complete set of bushes and sleeves complete with grease. I race with them and they transform the handling without the extreme harshness of rod ends which can cause no end of problems if you use your car on the road a lot.
Regards,
Graham @ GTA Racing.

Graham,
I did that with my KVA... Powerflex actually offered me a worse price than Burton Power in Ilford.
However, I do have to say they were extreamly helpful and respomsive though.
Brett

Graham,
Are you saying £140 for a KVA? If so, please tell me where you shop! Powerflex come in a packet of two @ £29 a bush... I count 8 on the front and god knows how many on the rear. I think with my discount @ Burton it would have totaled approx £500!! I still need to buy all the rear bushes.

Brett

Brett,
The original question was about GTD bushes to which i duly replied to with true valid information. I cannot advise on KVA bushes and their price as they are much larger.
The ENTIRE set cost me £142-06 as of 7th January this year and fit like a glove and give me 1st class suspension for hard track use as well as the relatively little road use that i do now.
Regards,
Graham @ GTA.

Hi, Brian.

I've moved house 4 times since starting my '40 and worked away from home quite a bit. I also had a bit of a disaster last winter when I had a leak in my garage which flooded the place for 2 months without my noticing ( I was away again ! ). The upshot was that all the chrome went rusty, brackets went rusty etc etc. So I have stripped the car down, shot blasted all of the parts, re-painted them, and once I have the suspension re-chromed I will rebuild the car and get it ready for next year. ( famous last words ! )

I don't know if you ( or anyone else ! ) can help on the engine front: I bought a so called reconditioned engine ( 302 ) from a company that no longer exists and it's a pile of c**p. I looked at getting a Ford Motorsport 302 but I have heard that some of them have had problems. I looked at the threads about having engines built in the US and shipping over, but none of the companies concerned have bothered even to reply. Anyone had any experience ( good or bad ) with Ford MS 302's ? Anyone know of a UK company that builds engines that they would reccomend ?

Thanks

Stuart

Hi Stuart, The Rubber bushes you are seeking we have on the shelf, either mail me directly or give us a call. Our website if you dont know is www.gt40uk.com if there are any other quesions that you need answering, drop us a line. We have many parts that cover your car and mostly stock. Engine issues we can deal with also.

Regards

Mark Sibley
MDA

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have a Ford Crate Motor, I ordered the 320HP version but they shipped the 345HP version at the same cost.They must have been out of the 320.If you already have a motor in your car, all the bolt on stuff will work, pullies, brackets for alt., oilpan etc. You will also want to use your own distributor, use correct gear, and intake manifold. My motor makes plenty of power and runs very good as a street motor. No problems yet.

Back