gurney-weslake heads

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Here's a question that I would welcome more information on:
I have looked at several small-block Ford cylinder heads, including NOS GW heads (not that I can afford them for my car). Does anyone know if the chamber shape and port dimensions of these heads were ever adapted to any production or aftermarket heads; ie, is there any performance SB FORD head that emulates the best features of the GW head?
This is somewhat a matter of curiosity as I am well aware that there are numerous excellent performance heads (AFR, Ford, Edelbrock etc, the list is long). But I am curious as to whether anyone tried to adapt the features of the GW heads for a production design?
confused.gif

Jim, when I was at the Dyno test shop earlier I saw a GT40 engine with GW heads running, and discussed this with the engineer. Quickly came to the opinion that this was not the way to go! Frank

Even after all these years, Mr Weslake´s designed gurney heads are still hanging in there..
When it comes to design of chambers and ports etc...
When you buy great aftermarket heads, it´s about the same sort of design´s you´d get.
Altough to a cheaper price...
So their development at the time were light years ahead !
Harry Weslake did sell and was wanted because, simply he was a genious !
But using modern technology to build up older engine parts makes quit a different.
It´s all in your wallet !
And how long you want your engine to last and for what use...
So economically, buy great aftermarket heads.
Have them built up to the engine by pro´s..
And you´d have a great engine, both performance wise and a engine that´ll last.
And get some economy into it.
Amateur vs pro built is in most cases a matter of keeping the engine alive !....
A lot of people over here are building their own engines...
But if the want it to last, they turn to pro´s...
A proffessional builder is someone who has plenty of experience, not nessecary a huge factory or so...

wink.gif

Many years back, I remember reading one of the Hot Rod magazines in a feature article where they ported the GW heads "the right way" and yeilded less peak dyno HP and torque than the un-touched GW heads. Parnelli Jones I think was involved with the project (?). They had to sleeve the ports back to where Harry had them. Must have been a pretty good design right off!

BTW, I'll post some pic's of the Gurney-Eagle version of the "Harry Heads" on an ERA build shortly.

Andy

Adam C.

GT40s Sponsor
I just happened to see two complete GW engines go at auction ($7,500-$11,500) a couple of weeks ago. I got a chance to look them over pretty good. The only SB heads that I can think of that are close are the new heads coming out from Mclaren (see last months Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords) The intake and exhaust ports are raised just about as much as the GW's, but the ports are more square (not rectangular) than round. I think they would lend themselves niclely to an IR setup however. I have heard no price yet but I bet they will be in the $3500 range complete.

Back