Handling - RCR40 vs SL-C (or other RCR cars)

Just wondering folks opinions between the handling abilities of the various cars offered by RCR?

Which car would someone recommend for taking on a road like the Tail of the Dragon? (if the 30 mph speed limit could be ignored...) Tight and twisty roads or courses.

Neil

Supporter
Frankly, Tray, on a tight and twisty road/course a Go-Kart will beat anything. No kidding!

Probably none of them. Best would be a WRC type car or replica like a Stratos, Renault R6 or some such. Most RCR products are meant for real sized racetracks or roads, 60 mph and above. Of course most of which we will never get to appreciate on a US road. To really get to experience the limit of any car you need to take it to the track.

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Just wondering folks opinions between the handling abilities of the various cars offered by RCR?

Which car would someone recommend for taking on a road like the Tail of the Dragon? (if the 30 mph speed limit could be ignored...) Tight and twisty roads or courses.

For the Dragon Tail I recommend a purpose built hill climb car:

I would start with one to those:

And there are the crazy guys:

sorry for the thread drift.....

not drifting too much i think... as I said I'm just asking options of others beside myself...

and yes, I know the track is the best place to play - i do hope to finally get some track time this year! hahaha

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I recently sold my SL-C and bought an Elise. JMHO, but your Exige is a much better choice for the Tail of the Dragon.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Honey I think we need a motorcycle so we can go on rides together! Oh …………..I don't know...…………….Don't worry honey it will be fine...……………………..……………………………………………...YOU FUCKUNG ASSHOLE!!!!!! I'm taking the house!!!!!

You loose a SLC on a road like this and you are going to hit something really...………….REALLY HARD!!!!! Don't. Go to the track. At least you won't hurt anybody else.

Attachments

• 98ea64b0d343d7015556496e2b3461b5.jpg
    98ea64b0d343d7015556496e2b3461b5.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 413
Tray - I'm not sure anyone really answered your question ... Of those who've posted I think only Howard and maybe Mesa(?) can speak to how a GT40 handles versus an SLC. It's likely that both cars probably aren't very well suited to the very tight nature of the Tail, I've never driven it myself so don't know how tight it actually is.

The GTR was designed after the SLC so there may be some updates to the GTR chassis that make it a better handling car for tighter roads, best to check with Fran if you're serious. I suspect in the hands of most people, it's a wash between an SLC or GTR or (name a performance oriented component car here). I don't see a problem with taking any of these cars to your local canyon roads and having fun - within reason of course. I doubt anyone here adheres to all road rules at all times.

Ok, thanks Cam and everyone else for your opinions. So when the time comes that I take on the project of building one of these cars then I should keep in mind the "GT" aspect of it, make it great for cruising and spirited trips but expect that it will really shine on the track if I do things properly. And hang onto at least 1 of my other toys for the tight twisty mountains...

Howard Jones

Supporter
I can tell you that a GT40 can be built to "handle" better than ANY production car over 2500 lbs on ANY road race style road. AND a SLC will be faster given the same specs due to the downforce generated. I have chased down a equally amateur driver at COTA in a GT3 Porsche and I can tell you that my advantage wasn't power. These cars are VERY fast even in a old fat mans hands. They win national championships in talented young hands.

Having said that. I do not want to encourage people to drive at anything like the limits that these cars can generate. I have pushed a bit on mountain roads in California with bikes around with my GT40. It is SO dangerous! I can't tell you how friggin dangerous it is. My old GT40 can outbrake a sport bike by so may bike lengths that it in entirely probable that I would unintentionally run them over if we went for it on a road like that devils tail thing.

Please don't push these cars on tight roads without adequate run offs. Hitting a tree at 80mph will kill you and hitting one at over a ton will REALLY kill you...………... twice over!!!

Gents

I drive the Tail frequently. It’s a tourist route with speeds as high as 35 mph. It’s fun to do it but there are better roads in that area with a lot less traffic, but the police know where they are as well. The Tail is a scenic drive, so take the old family wagon...lol.

Howard, I completely agree about restraining one's self on public roads - I've had the mountain claim it's share a few times and thankfully I'm still here to tell my tale.

Dan, I agree about the Tail, SOOO many people - so when people ask me, I usually tell them to go see it for what it is and enjoy the cruise - too risky in many ways to try to "tame the dragon" and run it like a hillclimb or time attack.

Although I can't comment on the GT40/GTR/SLC, what I can do is give you my experience from a perspective of wheelbase. The Dragon is very fun but very tight. Great on GP Motos, but when it comes to cars, wheelbase is the killer.

I have driven very spiritedly in (new at the time) BMW e60 550i, Porsche 935 (911 chassis), 914, 934, and a Alfa spider. Power cannot be used except very briefly on uphill straights, and despite one of the best handling 911 setups ever in the 935 tribute (coils at all 4 corners, sway bars dialed in, custom valved shocks, 15" wide rear tires, 13" wide front tires which were warmed up), the sharp corners make even a 911 feel slightly out of place.

It's a blast to drive, at about 5/10 without risking anything, get to see the amazing views, and have fun without fear of wadding anything up. But it is addictive and you'll want to keep going quicker, but things get sideways quick with no recovery room.

So if you're looking for what'll be best on super tight corners, pick the shortest wheelbase you can.

Back