have any of you guys ever had to throwdown?

It just gets better and better....round up the posse boys, Otis got into the corn liquor again and is causing trouble with folks at the saloon!

Where does your contempt stem from?

I've made no designs on promoting myself as a heroic figure. I'm a professional soldier. I conduct myself as such. I speak plainly and without subterfuge. If you have a problem with someone who speaks his mind and doesn't sugarcoat things, that is a situation for YOU to resolve, not me.

If a man says he can break your arm without trouble, does that mean he is bragging until he does so? It depends on the situation...if he is boasting out loud about his prowess apropos of nothing, then he is trouble. If he is stating the matter plainly and factually when prompted, then he is not.

There is a reason why police wear uniforms, badges and guns on their hips...it is a DISPLAY. Same as gang-bangers wear bandannas, tattoos and flash hand-signals. Troublemakers pick on certain kinds of people, have you ever noticed that? Do you wonder why?

There are people in this world who are disrespectful of anybody who does not have the ability to put them in their place. I hope you never encounter people like that.

But then again, I'm not "trained" like a police officer, so I have no idea what I'm talking about. Far better to pay lip-service to the pussified PC roles that the majority of sheeple have adopted. That is after-all, what a "polite" society entails. Mustn't disturb the head-in-the-sand stance most citizens have adopted.

Fighting is stupid...always. However I would agree that if you are cornered and don't have a way out, let them have it. And do a really good job of it and do it quick, so you don't get another "freind" in the situation. I only have been cornered a couple of times, because I look for the jerks, and stay away from them.
That said, the two times I had to do it, I asked the first guy if he believed in Jesus, and when he said no, I told him that wasn't good, because I would hate to kill a guy and send him to hell. That gave him something to think about, and I used that time to walk away.
The other started it without even a word or reason, and a well placed blow with my foot to his knee cap, didn't do anything to destroy him, but it made him wished that he could die. And he thought that he was never going to walk again without a limp. The word got out.
I have found humor, to be the best way to get out of bad situations. And drinking is nothing more than bottled up courage. Ha!
Being short will give you a lot of times to gain knowledge that will keep you from being a target for the stupid....I got a PHD in that course! Ha!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
If you would care to stop indulging in revisionist history, you would know that the US didn't get involved in WWII to assuage the threat of genocide, but rather to stop the march of an aggressive political philosophy
Part of a post by Wyld

Talk about revisionist history! One more time where this guy posts untruths.

The US got into WWII because:

In the Pacific, The Japanese attacked us.

In Europe, because a few days after Pearl Harbor the Germans declared war on us. Honoring a pact they had with the Japanese.

Pat

Supporter
This whole thing is getting silly.
John, talking tough or even winning a fight is a good way to get shot or stabbed later. I went though a lot of training in the military and the point I took from it was to to be sensitive to your surroundings and extract yourself before the crap hits the fan. Frontal assaults cost lives. If you are in the military and you have to resort to hand to hand fighting, you are in deep, deep trouble and probably either didn't assess the situation well to start with or your plan picker is defective. Far better to back up, call for artillery or in the case of a party out of hand, call the cops. My experience is that when trouble makers see the phone in use, they exit stage left. The one time I got in a bar fight, I thought won it until a pool que knocked me silly from someone behind me. Turns out (to my dismay) my adversary had unseen friends. Discretion truly is the better part of valor and setting up a scenario for payback is far too risky.

Where does your contempt stem from?

I'm a professional soldier.

John,

So you will know about the rules of engagement with civilians.

Perhaps you could help make the world a better and safer place by applying those rules and military discipline in your current civilian life.

After all if they were good enough when you were serving in the military and dealing with civilians, why make them redundant when you are a civilian dealing with civilians?

Last edited:
John, talking tough or even winning a fight is a good way to get shot or stabbed later. I went though a lot of training in the military and the point I took from it was to to be sensitive to your surroundings and extract yourself before the crap hits the fan. Frontal assaults cost lives. If you are in the military and you have to resort to hand to hand fighting, you are in deep, deep trouble and probably either didn't assess the situation well to start with or your plan picker is defective. Far better to back up, call for artillery or in the case of a party out of hand, call the cops. My experience is that when trouble makers see the phone in use, they exit stage left. The one time I got in a bar fight, I thought won it until a pool que knocked me silly from someone behind me. Turns out (to my dismay) my adversary had unseen friends. Discretion truly is the better part of valor and setting up a scenario for payback is far too risky.

Thanks for the honesty, good points in my opinion.

Howard Jones

Supporter
If you have nothing to lose, job, house, cars, retirement accounts, wife, kids, future earnings, go for it............

Yes, you are bragging. It's gotten old. Carry on.

Bragging about what exactly, Jeff? That I would interfere between someone looking for a fight and someone who wasn't? That I would detain someone who got violent with an innocent bystander? That I would interrupt a crime in progress rather than cower like a beaten dog? That's what we do everyday in Iraq & Afghanistan!

Listen, we all understand that you would rather run away and let turds dictate to you where you may go and what you may do. That's freedom by god!

John,

So you will know about the rules of engagement with civilians.

Perhaps you could help make the world a better and safer place by applying those rules and military discipline in your current civilian life.

After all if they were good enough when you were serving in the military and dealing with civilians, why make them redundant when you are a civilian dealing with civilians?

Did you bother to actually READ any of what I said? I'm not the OP...I didn't get boozed up and try to pick a fight with a loud-mouth.

Again...would I interfere with someone who tried to get violent with someone else who wasn't wanting a fight? YES. Would I detain someone who got violent with another person until the cops arrived? YES. Would I interrupt a crime in progress to assist the victim instead of walking away? YES.

Those are pretty cut & dried ROEs. I'm not exactly strapping on a cape & cowl, prowling the streets to clean up the scumbags.

The way I understand it, many of the people who responded on this forum are of the same mentality as the "good" folks who have watched while people have been beaten, stabbed & shot, taking video with their cellphones & Twittering about it, rather than calling the cops or even trying to stop the assault.

But of course now all you "good" folks will tell me I'm wrong and how you've somehow Saved The Day by keeping your heads down and vacating a situation like that.

It makes me sick to hear what people consider "good" citizenship. All of it revolves around you getting yours and the only charity you consider giving is the financial kind. I'm sorry that you feel that fighting the good fight is beneath you, but I must be some kind of "no-good redneck" for not standing by when I see an injustice being done.

Seriously, what happened to doing the RIGHT thing? Sometimes putting your skin in the game is the only thing that can justifiably be called doing the right thing. All the lip-service about human rights and human life having value, so long as you don't have to risk your comfort is garbage.

But then again, I'm full of macho rhetoric and gunning for a fight, right?

Last edited:
We've all decided you are a nutjob. Keep proving us right. Thanks.

Consensus makes fact?

I'm not proving anything...you've made up your mind and choose to see everything in a light that only satisfies your predetermined opinion.

You're a coward and would run away when you see another person being hurt by someone...that's what you're proving. Not a very honorable position to teach your children, but what do I know?

Jeff is the sole arbiter of morality & values.

I'm not talking about looking for a fight or instigating a fight. I'm talking about willingly putting yourself between someone who does and someone who does not. How is that any different than what a soldier does in his daily routine in a combat arena?

How is that silly to consider that an obligation of myself to my fellow citizens? Is it only because I'm not on combat pay or currently on deployment? Wouldn't that make my oath one of convenience, rather than one I take to heart?

I have done these things before and will again if I see them happening. It has nothing to do with searching for glory and everything to do with the fact that I believe in the cause. I'm accustomed to dealing with these scenarios far more than most civilians are...I know the risks & I accept them.

If that's crazy then so is doing it for a paycheck.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
You know, I get the feeling that YOU are one of those bullies. You've always had an impulse to be violent, and looked for ways to express it. Serving honorably in the military wasn't enough. You now have to develop a world view that allows you to engage in "noble" violent behavior based on your own view of how folks should act.

When people challenge you on that, and explain to you that in 99% of the cases out there, in civilian life, that's not acceptable behavior, you revert back to Neantherdahl mode and start dishing on how life is violent, how you are "intimately familiar with violence," how you've killed people (funny, I don't think I've ever met anyone else who gladly volunteerred that information on the internet, but always a first), in order to justify it. And then after that you start insulting people who disagree, calling them cowards, unpatriotic, and on, and on and on.

Look at your first paragraph above. I can't emphasize this enough and it is the ONLY reason I'm continuing to post here: NO, GETTING IN THE MIDDLE OF A BAR FIGHT IS NOTHING LIKE DOING YOUR DUTY IN COMBAT. The fact that you continue to think it is suggests to me you need some help transitioning back to civilian life. I hope you get it.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
We've all decided you are a nutjob. Keep proving us right. Thanks.

A little harsh, no?

Jeff, we all know that you are a close friend of the guy who owns this place......one would think that you would also realize your position here.....and act more gracefully in your interactions with the Forum members - despite the occasional lunacy.

Ron McCall

Supporter
A little harsh, no?

Jeff, we all know that you are a close friend of the guy who owns this place......one would think that you would also realize your position here.....and act more gracefully in your interactions with the Forum members - despite the occasional lunacy.

Well said!

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
What position? My views are not Ron's, and in fact we often have very different viewpoints. But we can discuss them politely.

This John Roark fellow, EVERY discussion with him turns into a rant about his military experience, how violence is acceptable, and how everyone who disagrees with him is a coward, has no morals, etc, etc. etc. Tiresome. You are right though, need to stop. Not productive.

Thanks.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Pat,

Jeff's comment was strong, no doubt. But he is talking to a person with a long history of incredibly vicious personal attacks.

Go back and look at the types of things he says to people who disagree with him.

If anyone needs to "act more gracefully" in their interactions it is not Jeff, who's posts IMHO are

as graceful as they come!

Last edited:
Well here's a sobering sample of how devastating a single blow can be.

This happened only a couple of weeks ago in Melbourne Australia.

Video - RAW VISION: Man unconscious after King St assault - The Age

Thankfully John M the OP didn't find himself in either the giving or recieving end of a potentially similar situation.

In this instance the bully/assailant has ruined two lives because of his actions.

This thread has really taken a turn for the worse, that hopefully will calm down somewhat once we see damage that street violence can create.

Thankfully the assailant was arrested a few days later.

Cheers.

Steve.

Back