heat shielding cloth

I don't know if anyone would know where to find the aluminum woven cloth material that seems to be used in the GT40 Mk2 XGT-2 interior against the firewall. It looks great but can't seem to find a vendor for such an item, thanks
-Steve

Ed McClements

Supporter
I don't know if anyone would know where to find the aluminum woven cloth material that seems to be used in the GT40 Mk2 XGT-2 interior against the firewall. It looks great but can't seem to find a vendor for such an item, thanks
-Steve

Hi Steve

This stuff?

GT40-7_Slide16.jpg

It looks odd in the restoration photos...no discernible weave to the fabric.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Car Builder did the one I used on the underside of rear clip

they also do high temperature adhesive, 14 years on no cracks in the paint and not peeling away!

ian

The material in the photo is exactly what I'm looking for, it looks like woven by how if contours to the surfaces, but has the appearance of mylar in color. I've been searching google to no avail

Neil

Supporter
I used a woven ceramic fiber that has a thin aluminum foil facing that is similar to the material sold by Aircraft Spruce. I found a 75 foot roll on eBay about ten years ago and bought it to cover my firewall for additional thermal insulation. The circular part shown is an access plate in my extended firewall. To test the fiber's temperature resistance I applied a propane torch flame as shown.

Attachments

• Ceramic Fiber 1.jpg
    Ceramic Fiber 1.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 287
  • Ceramic Fiber Burn Test.jpg
    Ceramic Fiber Burn Test.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 297
I called the people who did the restoration you see in the above photos, they either got it from Pegasus or on amazon. Once I find the exact stuff I will let people know

Back