Hello all from Connecticut

Pete

I'm In Ct ERA GT#2076. Registered the Car in May 2006. I think timing is everything. I had an inspector who spent 2 hours going over the car and hated everything. From the bumpers to the tires sticking out past wheel wells across the mid-section. I'm talking about 3 o'clock how many cars don't have that issues. Didn't think the defroster was powerful enough. After two hours i thought i was going home with a list of impossible fixes, when he told me i passed. He was now my long lost buddy. His whole demeaner changed. If they go by the book the car will never pass. The bumper problem scared me the most. How would you fix that. He claimed it was noisey but never put a meter to it. I think if you go in there with a well put together car and don't be a jerk you'll get through it. I just kept saying yes sir to his issues. I did speak up about the lack of bumpers. I said isn't going to be my problem if i hit something and damage the nose or the tail. He agreed.
Let me just say my two cents about ERA. As Jim Spoke earlier call ERA talk to Peter better yet stop in and talk to him Great person to talk cars with. I don't know what the current wait time is, but i was sure thankful to be able to run over to ERA, 20 minutes for me, to look at a car in different stages of completetion during my build. Great people to deal with, Expensive but worth it.

LLoyd

i saw the lambo/audi transaxle page and the modded bering retainer. seemed like a good solution and parts are plentiful and cheap, which is my motto. its hard to replce a broken '1 of ' part.

unfortunatly *cheap* i need to get out of my head and go with strength in the long run. i find it amazing that a transaxle is more than a motor.

what is the 'ferarri' of transaxles? like an F1 style sequential shift?

thanks everyone for all your input.

pete

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
llarsen said:
Pete,

I have to agree with Gregg and Russ (to an extent); all of a sudden the Porsche G50 has become chopped liver to some.
[/i]

Lynn, I think you can take some credit for that! When I was investigating transaxles I was considering G50/5x. Didn't know about 930's until I came upon this Aug 04 post of yours.....

"There are a number of reasons the G50 is considered better suited than the older transaxles: stronger and more modern sychros, but primarily because it marked the beginning of the use of hydaulic clutch actuation. This and the fact that it is a 4 speed cause many to overlook the 930/935 which is a very stout transaxle as well."

I then started checking out the 930, obviously I wasn't the only one! I'm just in the process of putting a concentric hydraulic TOB in mine right now.

Now that our esteemed leader is using one in his T70, I've no doubt they will become a LOT more popular!

In the next month Lim's "phantom" G50/52 should arrive here. When we strip that as well, it will be interesting to compare the two side by side and have a measure up.

Cheers

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
pyropete125 said:
unfortunatly *cheap* i need to get out of my head and go with strength in the long run. i find it amazing that a transaxle is more than a motor.

pete

As I said, check out the 930, IMHO it is the strongest and cheapest of the "mid range" (ie not T44 or Hewland LG600) trannies. Expect to pay $1500 to $4500 depending on condition and spec. About $3000 for a good one with LSD.

Most of the other high torque trans Mendeola, Fortin, and the new Ford GT etc are much too bulky to fit. If you're going to spend that sort of money then the T44 or Hewland is the better choice as they were original equipment.

HTH

Last edited:
Try 10K plus for zf 2 rebuilt. 16k for 6speed new. ZF is the only option on the ERA GT

I paid 7k for a NOS and another 2k to have it flipped, powder coated case and polished stainless bolt kit.

LG

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hi Gregg,

Not sure what your beef is. As others know of me here I'm not "getting a percentage" of anything like that. Take a look at others' posts on this thread why don't you? It's just a collegial information share by owner, for owners (I own a CAV). CAV doesn't get much exposure here as, like many of the other mfgs, it seems to be overwhemed somewhat by the very active involvement of RCR/Fran in this forum.

Like others have said here, we're all just good natured enthusiasts engaged in a collegial endeavor. I mentioned several mfgs in my post so I'm puzzled by your curious comments but it's not significant enough to me to matter at all. Good luck and have fun!

Gregg said:
Cliff, can you tell me your connection to CAV. Are you getting a percentage? Part owner? It seems that a vast MAJORITY of your posts include some hawking of the CAV product. Are you trying to validate your own purchase? I just checked the forum manufacturers listing and found a forum dedicated to CAV and sponsored by VIP Classics. What personal knowledge do you have that the CAV dealers are conspicuously silent and there reasosn for same. Your same post includes a representation that Superformance will be building a "special version of the gt40 which will qualify under most vintage racing rules". I think the last post by HiTech Auto was that it was still under consideration. As far as vintage racing eligible, I believe that venue is still very much a wild card. Cliff, please do not turn into the new Oliver.

Pete, as you are close to ERA, I would pay them a vistit as Jim recommends. The purchase of a GT40 is considerable and you should make a well informed decision.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Lloyd,

Sounds to me that Mr. Pete has the wherewithall to install a different transaxle than the spec one from ERA, not that the ZF/RBT isn't an excellent choice from a functional point of view. That said, I don't think the Audi or Renault transaxles will work in an ERA because of the engine location (height) with these. Either the 930 or the G50 should be able to work with minimal sorting (at least for someone with the skills that Pete apparently has.)

I am not sure what effect that would have on Pete's relationship with ERA. Their website merely says, "Sorry, but we only support the ZF (MK1) or T44 (MK2).........We cannot do design and development on your own transaxle selection." Which to me says that you are on your own if you use a different transaxle. The transaxle adaptation, mount, clutch function and shifter operation are then self engineered/supported.

My guess is that Bob would support the rest of the car as per normal. We'll let Bob or Peter tell Pete what the ramifications of using an alternative transaxle are IF that's what Pete wants to do.

Lynn

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Russ,

Thank you, yes I think everyone should consider all options. And, I have never thought the 930 wasn't a good choice, quite the opposite, but I don't want someone to overlook the G50 out of hand. They have become so popular that the demand has driven the price up unfortunately. (A few years ago, before wreckers discovered how popular they were, the price was pretty reasonable.)

Bye the way, WEVO has an annular hydraulic realease system for the 930 and G50s:

The picture is from the 915 section, which is where the link here points. There is no description or photos in the 930 or G50 area, but I am sure they are quite similar. No idea of the price either. WEVO produces parts pretty much for the racing community, so they probably aren't cheap. But everything I've seen there appears to be top shelf in terms of quality.

Pete,

A couple of years ago, everyone was in a hub-ub over the new Quaife transaxle (see pic below) that is available in sequential or H pattern. Dimensionally, I believe it works in a GT40, but you don't hear much about it anymore. I am not sure why that is; anyone want to chime in here? The new Xtrac that is posted in the powertrain section looks the bomb, but we don't have good info yet (although I sent an email to Brammo yesterday inviting them to join the forum and comment.) The issue with the GT40 and transaxles is finding one that isn't too long.

Attachments

• QuaifeNewTran2.jpg
    QuaifeNewTran2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 310

Ron Earp

Admin
Thread Digression

Fellows, this thread is all over the place. We've got a new guy with skills asking about building a car on a budget, but have responses from folks telling him to look at turnkey minus cars. The "which car is best" has an underlying current here. A disagreement has entered the thread as to the use of the forum and eluding to another member's motives. And as always, transaxles have entered the fray and have become a main topic of an introduction thread.

Time to shut this one off and continue the various discussions in new threads in the proper categories. Otherwise this will turn into a free for all which some important information getting lost in the noise.

Ron

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Sorry Ron for this post.

Cliff, I did as you suggested and reviewed the posts. What I found was that you were the first person to promote another product, namely CAV. In fact, your reply really did not pertain to Pete's question as he inquired about kits and not a turn key minus car. I did notice that Bill D was the first to reply and made no mention of RCR though.

I have no beef with anyone on the forum, other than JCOOP! Ray, where is my meatball sub?:) :) I'm wasting away here. Maybe I should thank you. Ray in an earlier post to a different thread you advised that you were ten miles from HRE. Are you in Merrick on the water or in a mansion in RVC? Would love to drop by for a ride and a bite to eat.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
pyropete125 said:

thanks everyone for all your input.

pete

Ron, respectfully, Pete steered his own thread towards the highend/expensive transaxle discussion. I agree with the rest of what you say though.

Cheers

dont worry i dont mind the commotion. i like listening to people and making my own decisions, though i do not want to re-invent the wheel [or transaxle, lol]

Quaife Mk2 6-speed heavy duty transaxle H pattern gearbox - Quaife Engineering

that is nice, but with quaife EVERYTHING is astronomically priced... as with everything to do with a gt40 replica.

seems like the porsche 930 or G50 is what going to suit my price range.

anybody want a deal of buying 2 of everything needed to do a GT40 and ill do all the labor just for the left over parts ;)

thanks,
pete

Ron Earp

Admin
By all means don't let me stop folks from posting on the thread! It is in the paddock now so take it where you like. Sorry I'm a PITA sometimes on threads and thread drift, but if they don't stay somewhat on topic I move them from the specific forums and out somewhere else.

Ron

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
Pete -
Welcome to the forum! You've got a nice challenge to have in terms of selecting a car and transxle to meet your needs and goals. This forum helped me make the best decision I could and it will continue to provide me information that is highly useful. Again, welcome.

Steve

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Gregg said:
Cliff, can you tell me your connection to CAV. Are you getting a percentage? Part owner? It seems that a vast MAJORITY of your posts include some hawking of the CAV product. Are you trying to validate your own purchase? I just checked the forum manufacturers listing and found a forum dedicated to CAV and sponsored by VIP Classics. What personal knowledge do you have that the CAV dealers are conspicuously silent and there reasosn for same. Your same post includes a representation that Superformance will be building a "special version of the gt40 which will qualify under most vintage racing rules". I think the last post by HiTech Auto was that it was still under consideration. As far as vintage racing eligible, I believe that venue is still very much a wild card. Cliff, please do not turn into the new Oliver.

Hi Gregg,

Of the 308 posts of mine (inc. this one), no more than 9 (3 percent) pertain to any comparison across suppliers of gt40s. Most folks consider a MAJORITY to mean greaterthan 50 percent. Not sure where you went to school but apprently mathematics isn't your forte.

Further, it's none of your business what my economics status may be. I promise not to ask you intrusive questions about your life's economics and will seek the same courtesy from you as a fellow member of this good forum.

I would invite you to consider this particular dialog between you and I as closed as it bears no relation to the original question posed at the top of the thread and furthering it any more is just an annoyance to all I'm sure.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Cliff,
1) I never asked you about your economic status.
2) I certainly would not have spent time reviewing all of my 308 posts to
come up with a percentage.
3) I agree, a majority is greater than 50%.
4) Education is an advanced degree from a small school in Massachusetts.
5) You are correct, mathematics is not my forte. Once I exceed my fingers
and toes I use a calculator. :)

"I would invite you to consider this particular dialog between you and I as closed as it bears no relation to the original question posed at the top of the thread and furthering it any more is just an annoyance to all I'm sure."

Net, I agree. However, it is nice to know that you value my opinion to go through all the trouble of your reply. All is good.

Back