Hello from Alaska

I just came across this forum due to my on again off again search for my midlife treat to myself car, and coming across the SL-C from RCR.
As a bit of background I used to race karts in the late 80’s early 90’s and after running both an 80cc and 125cc shifter kart (as well as 100 and 135cc single speeds) I’ve always wanted a street car that would have the handling and exhilaration of a shifter kart. I also built a streamliner with a friend that has set several records at Bonneville and got him into the 300 mph club.
Back to my search for my car, I’ve been contemplating various Ferrari’s, but the combination of parts cost and availability, issues with many of the cars and needing to keep my budget South of $100k, I just can’t find anything that fits my criteria or runs the risk of blowing my budget if something isn’t caught in a PPI. So then there have been possible project cars. I’ve always thought a Porsche 914 with a Hayabusa bike motor and a Qauife diff would be a hot setup. Trouble is to get the performance I’d really want I’d basically have to hand build a tube chassis and suspension and would essentially just be dropping the 914 body onto a one off car, and dumping a bunch of money into the busa motor with a turbo et al. I’d come across the GTM a few years back and while it appealed on some aspects, I just don’t like the compromise of using vette parts for the suspension and honestly the lines aren’t exactly what I’m after.
Then I started looking into GT-40 kits and was considering that as option, which lead me to RCR and to the SL-C. Wow, the SL-C is exactly what I’ve wanted, and honestly is a much better design than I would have come up with myself. The lines are gorgeous, the weight is low, the suspension is top notch and no compromises from using parts from a production car.
My only dilemma at this point is we’ve spent the last couple years looking for a house with a 3 car garage, or a detached shop, or a lot big enough to build a detached shop and at a price that won’t swallow my SL-C budget. Trouble is all I find is either too big of a house (no SL-C budget), too old of a house (next 5 years will be spent remodeling, no time for SL-C) or no yard (no place to park my boat). So it may be a few years down the road, but the SL-C has my car juices flowing!

Welcome Paul,

Keep looking and I'm sure you'll find just the right place! The SLC will be well-worth the wait. In the meantime....enjoy the Forum!

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum. You're in the right place to learn about the SL-C!
Where in Alaska? I spent about year there in 1962 working in Sparrevohn (lake 606). Loved it!

Thanks for the welcome. I'm in Eagle River, which is just outside of Anchorage. Even by Alaska standards, Sparrevohn is pretty remote!

To me the hardest thing to figure out with the SL-C is the transaxle, as that could limit my power options. My vission at this point is a Ford coyote twin turbo tuned to about 750 hp, but I'm thinking of starting with the engine naturally aspirated at first, then adding the turbos later. It seems the options of a transaxle that can handle that engine are limited, not easily aquired and expensive. And then I think, well if I could live with a 400-500 hp naturally aspirated engine, I could go with a porsche transaxle, but then I think, I'd hate to build the car, decide I want more power, and have to upgrade the transaxle and add the turbos.

All moot until I find the right house/shop.

Paul,

I had a G50.50 with a billet side-plate and external cooler that would hold some big HP before a got the Ricardo. Contact Erik at G Box and he can find the right transaxle for you. And it will be a righteous deal. :thumbsup: (BTW, I got the Ricardo for a great price of $5800...not likely to happen again)

Just realized I'll be in Cleveland the end of next week and might have to see about taking a drive over to RCR to see an SLC in the flesh.

BTW, figured you might like a picture of the streamliner I helped build. Can't believe it was 20 years ago!

P8195232-1024x762.jpg

Back