Hello from Denver! Soon to build a GT-R

Hello Everyone,
I am new to the thread. I ordered the GT-R about a month ago now and I am eagerly awaiting delivery next year some time. I have been building cars for a while now and have always had my sights on a kit car and I am happy to be able to pull the trigger. I am sure I will need some help during the build as far as some clarification on certain things and or help finding certain hard to find parts. So far my build consists of a Roush supercharged 5.0 coyote, mated to a Ricardo transmission with the proper floor shifter for the Ricardo. I was able to also source the ring gear and clutch luckily. Although I am having trouble finding the starter so if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear it!

Thank you and I look forward to the support from this forum.

-Joshua-

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome Joshua to GT40S. As you anxiously await your kit to arrive, take the time to carefully read each build thread. Don’t just focus on the GTR builds, as there are tons of ideas on every thread. Start a note book and make notes on every interesting idea.
The starters are still available. I’m away from my parts currently, but can get you the part number. You usually have to have a GT vin number to order one however. Also the starter has a special terminal. Thanks to someone on here, after several years we were able to come up with the number for that also.

Welcome
Regards Brian

Welcome Joshua,
I am just a bit ahead of you on a GT-R build. I bought an unfinished project and am currently trying to learn as much as possible before digging in too deep. It's a hurdle taking off where someone else left off. This car has a Ford Performance Crate Coyote with ZF transaxle. I'm guessing you have a few more ponies with that supercharger. I'm willing to share my limited knowledge with you anytime it it becomes helpful.

Rob...

I can imagine that would difficult, and I commend you for that sir . I do appreciate the offer, and may be asking more questions as I move forward. Hopefully 675hp is what's planned. Good luck with your build. I look forward to you finishing it. Luckily I just received an email that Fran was able to help me out with the starter.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Here is a rebuilt Ford GT Ricardo starter for $100. Denso 280-1029. Available thru Summit Racing

Here is the search words available on EBay for the starter connector. “Toyota Supra 2JZGTE starter connector.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Per Kens recommendation, I was excited to see a rebuilt starter available. I went to Summits site to order one. It does have a $60.00 core charge, which isn’t a big deal. They do not have them in stock, but says dropped shipped from manufacturer. Expected ship date 2-14-2022. Again not a deal breaker. I then went direct to Densos site. They say “ On national back order with no ETA- place order to reserve product “.
Again not a big deal because I have some new ones. I was going to buy a rebuilt unit and send it out to CSR to see if they could build one of their Platinum Series hi-torque starters like it.

CSR Platinum Pro Series High Torque Starters
CSR Platinum Pro series high-torque starters are designed for all-out competition use. They are recommended for all engines over 450 cu. in. and/or with compression ratios over 12.5:1, as well as all supercharged engines. Platinum Pro series starters have a powerful 2.4 hp motor that provides 40 percent more torque than CSR's 1.6 hp high-torque starters, and they're only one inch longer, to allow for maximum clearance.

Again not a big deal at the rate I’m going I won’t need one for some time.

Regards Brian

Attachments

• 03553281-6C43-403B-96C4-1A1CFF4148AC.png
    03553281-6C43-403B-96C4-1A1CFF4148AC.png
    292.7 KB · Views: 110
  • F7088FAE-8BD8-4E2D-94A1-694194495722.png
    F7088FAE-8BD8-4E2D-94A1-694194495722.png
    217.4 KB · Views: 107
Back