Hello from DocTodd

Hi,
I found this forum searching for info on the RCR SLC and I have to say that I am impressed with all of the info in these forums! I'm a local OK doc looking to build my car. I don't have much experience in the automotive industry but have a good family background: My grandfather owned a car repair shop which has been passed down to my uncle. The other uncle and his son have done full on resto's of a '77 T/A, 50's Ford pickup and El Camino's in their large "home" shop. I hope to absorb as much info as possible and look forward to the challenge of doing this project.

A couple of questions:
1. Am I crazy for considering a build with just a basic knowledge???
2. How do most people dedicated to completing a build go about it? For example, budgeting for a kit may cost $40-50k and the remainder of the build another $30-50k is one thing but do most save up the whole amount or just buy the kit/chassis first and save up a little more and pick up parts along the way vs going full tilt right off the bat? I realize that going "full tilt" is probably the best way to go in terms of committing to the build, but it also seems like these builds would stretch most pocket books.
3. Please give me beginners pointers!

Hello DocTod,
Welcome to the forum. Ask away, your questions will be answered. Some very knowledgeable folks here. Enjoy!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Doc

Welcome to this mad house!

I am an accountant and helped assemble my GT40 and no mine was not a full kit as Dax had not made any for over 15 years but with the Internet and percerverence and a lot of help from some very good people (now friends for life) I have my dream car in my garage.

Could I do it all myself ---- yes sure but it would still be a workin progress instead of being driven

Be realistic with your estimates of time available for you to spend in the garage as it will consume all your spare time and the"honey do's" seem not to get done! This can lead to additional dinners out etc and in turn if you add all these extras into the build cost you will never start!

In short yes it can be achieved with basic knowledge but the build time increases

Ian

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
We have at least one other doctor, plus one attorney, who have done this. So you aren't the only crazy one. You'll have company, at least..... :)

Thanks guys. I will definitely be spending my time doing the research and asking questions. I will also be talking to Fran and going over what I need to be thinking about for the build.
Happy 4th!!!

Back