Hello from New Zealand

Hello, my name is Gary and I live in Hawkes Bay New Zealand. I have a TSC 40 basic component package on order and hope to get delivery by the end of the year. In the meantime I have an engine and transaxle to play with. I would like to thank everybody who posts on this site for sharing their knowledge and hope I will be able to help future builders in the same way. Cheers

Hey Gary - I'm a noob here myself, in the U.S., but wanted to say Welcome, and we have friends in Oxford and Greymouth (South Island) so when I see somebody from NZ post online it reminds me of them and I'm inclined to say Hi :) ... someday this d:mad:mn virus will (hopefully) allow us to visit there again :)

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40S Gary. Very nice introduction. As you have been finding out, there’s a vast amount of knowledge with these builders worldwide. Please start a build thread with your intentions as your build progresses. Perhaps people might spot something they have figured out and could prevent some heartache.

Enjoy the forum!!
Regards Brian

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Welcome Gary. I'm in Dunedin. Good bunch on here, with a wealth of knowledge. Hope your build goes well.

Hello, my name is Gary and I live in Hawkes Bay New Zealand. I have a TSC 40 basic component package on order and hope to get delivery by the end of the year. In the meantime I have an engine and transaxle to play with. I would like to thank everybody who posts on this site for sharing their knowledge and hope I will be able to help future builders in the same way. Cheers
Welcome Gary. Good to have another Kiwi here and another GT40 making its way to NZ shores. I keep a registry of GT40’s and owners in NZ only, and currently have records for 45. You’ll find some great info and clever heads in these pages.

Hi Garry We are GT40 New Zealand and if we can help with LVVTA issues let me know there having restored a tornedo we have a pretty intimate knowledge of them. GT40.co.nz Regards Peter

Hi Gary. I was wondering whether you had received the TSC40 package yet? Cheers.

Hi Townie, no still patiently waiting to hear from Andy, he did say it would be early this year so hopefully anytime soon. Cheers

Gary, hope you and your family/friends are all good and safe given your location in Hawkes Bay. We had a few slips on our property after the Auckland Floods then they got bigger following Cyclone Gabriel. So it might be a good thing the kit is delayed if you have property issues to deal with.

Cheers
Mike

Thanks Mike. Luckily I live in Havelock North, slightly elevated so no damage. My job takes me to the more rural areas in Hawkes Bay, seeing the destruction first hand puts you in awe of the power of water, certain parts look apocalyptic. How is your build coming along? hopefully by mid year I would have made a start.
Thanks Ryan, I haven’t made it to Australia yet, Melbourne is definitely on my places to go list.
Cheers
Gary

Hi Gary, I see your order is finally on its way, hope to see photos once it arrives. Have fun with the build Cheers Adrian

Hi Gary, Welcome. I'm from Melbourne Austrailia and waiting on delivery for my Absolute Pace GT40. Great to see

Cheers Rick

Hi Garry We are GT40 New Zealand and if we can help with LVVTA issues let me know there having restored a tornedo we have a pretty intimate knowledge of them. GT40.co.nz Regards Peter
Hi Peter
Finally my Tornado kit has arrived and I can start assembly. I am in the process of starting to fill out forms for design approval with the LVVTA.
I may be being a bit cheeky here, are you able to give me the details of the Tornado you put through the LVVTA, hopefully this will save me a lot of paperwork and I can get on with the build.
Regards
Gary

Hi Garry
Have you contacted a LVVTA certifier as there it can be an uphill battle to get it certified. Ive just chaged the transmission from a ZF to an audi in a certified Tornedo and the process has taken 2 years and abount 20k. Im also in the process of attempting to get two roaring forties through and again its been two years . The biggest issue is the suspension have a look at https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Suspension_Systems.pdf
Also have you downloaded the builders manual https://www.lvvta.org.nz/shop/new-zealand-car-construction-manual-full-version/
and be aware of the standards
In a nut shell if you build a home built car with standard off the shelf suspension parts from a production car such as MX5 suspension on a lotus 7 the the process is relitivly simple however if you are going attempt to use custom uprights then you are going to have to convince the technical advisory committee that what you are doing is safe. At this stage I have had to have the chassis modeled in solidworks with finite element analysis becuase I was modifing the chassis from what has been approved just to change the transmission.
My advise is get a Certifier on board from day one. the only on in hawkes bay is
Richard Clarke Premier Auto Repairs 1994 Ltd 819 Gordon Road Hastings 06 878 8183

The from suspenion we are using is based on a willwood mustang II with a Mustang II rack with extenders and it is still going to be looked at by the technical advisory committee but based on preliminaly conversation with Lama Engineering in Wellington it should be accepted. The Tornedo Aulminium uprights will in my experience will not pass. Also if dont try and use a Power steering rack taht is not connected to a power steering pump as this is what is used in the Roaring forties and has been refused. As were the cast front and rear upright supplied by roaring forties.
Stub axles
2.2(36) A stub axle fitted to a low volume vehicle may be replaced, provided that:
(a) the replacement stub axle is a common ‘bolt-on’ aftermarket or original
equipment-style of stub axle, and:
(i) if aftermarket, is an identifiable aftermarket brand,
accompanied by documented verification that it is from a
reputable aftermarket stub axle manufacturer; and
(ii) if aftermarket, is a volume-produced aftermarket catalogued
part for that make and model of vehicle; and
(iii) if manufactured via a casting process, is made from either cast
steel or cast ductile iron; and
(iv) is unmodified; and
(v) in the case of an aftermarket stub axle manufactured via a
casting process, incorporates a separate spindle pin machined
from solid bar-stock; and
LVVTA Low Volume Vehicle Standard 195-00(02) (Suspension Systems) Page 18 of 24
© Low Volume Vehicle Technical Association (Inc.) October 2016
(vi) is comparable to or greater in size than the original stub axle
being replaced;
Also all of the steering joints if they dont come from a production car un modified then you will have to get them remade by a local certified fabricator.

Back