Hello!

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
Introducing myself as I'm considering a CAV GT. Figured I'd stalked long enough without an introduction.

Regards,

Ron

Hi Ron, Welcome! So you're thinking of a CAV. Nice! Before I bought I researched all the GT40's available and after spending endless hours of reading and studying the different manufacturercars I bought a CAV. I love the car and have been very pleased with the fit and finish and the service I have received from CAV both in the USA and in South Africa. I noted your Avatar indicates you live in NC which as you probably know is where the CAV US Distributor is located. I had the pleasure of spending time with Johann, the CAV rep, and was delighted with his help and knowledge of the car. My car is a pre 100 car and while I love the stainless steel chassis and the fit and finish of the interior the 100 plus serial numbered cars are even better. Johann's Gulf car was spectacular. Sure I'm biased but I feel very strongly about the car I purchased and the quality of the parts used. The truth is in the service after the sale and even though I did not buy my car from Johann he has treated me like family ever since I became an owner of a CAV GT40. Good Luck with your purchase. You will not regret it. The thrill of driving my car on the open roads is something I will take to my grave. GT40 ownership is a dream come true and I'm happy to say I made a very wise choice. Please feel free to contact me by PM if you'd like to speak more about your decision.

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
Jimmy,
Yep, it was a strategic ride in that gulf car that hooked me. I'm researching engine, tranny and stuff like that now, trying to understand what kind of grave I'm digging with my wife.

Regards,

Ron

Ron, anything I can do to help don't hesitate to contact me. Living in NC as you do you have the world at your feet when it comes to engine builders. Beware though there is one builder in your area to steer well clear of. This forum has a thread or two on them with some major issues so caveat emptor. All the best....BTW have you decided on color as yet? Mine is yellow with black, 347 stroker, w/ 4 44IDF webers, 15" BRM's, twin nostril nose, and MK II rear brake snorkels. Livin the dream...

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
Jimmy,
I actually like the color scheme on Johann's website (wimbledon white with green and red stripes), but I'm undecided. I think I've settled on an injected motor (353IR, w/RBT or ZFQ) tranny.

Probably going with 17" BRM's as I don't intend to race the car (maybe a track day if I get bold).

Johann is a great guy and very patient with me so far.

Regards,

Ron

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Ron,

Welcome to GT40s!!!

I hope you get the car that's truly right for you.. Don't forget to start your own Build Log so we can follow along!

There's unlimited technical advice available on this site. Also political views and friendly arguments. But psychological counselling on dealing and negotiating with the wife is sadly missing.

Love the thoughts on color, engine and tranny selection. As many have said on this site....tranny first, engine second. Should be a real screamer....don't know about you but I can't wait to see it in the flesh. As for the wife....can't offer any input...never married. Does that make me smart?

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
The basis of my 20 year marriage is "Yes Dear"

RBT / Keith Craft / CAV - probably on the "smart thing", but I've got a keeper.

"Yes Dear" is an excellent start. the typical GT40 project will cost you a few heated discussions, a new kitchen, and a couple of holidays to places SWMBO wants to visit.

The car details are up to you, and seriously consider the basics that you want in the car, including type of construction, transmission, and what you will mainly use it for.

have fun.

My initial scheme was to remodel the kitchen, new flooring and re-siding the house!
No mention of purchasing the SL-C until AFTER the work was completed.

Because these upgrades were needed anyway, it worked a treat! Her only comment after visiting RCR was "where do you put "stuff".

Hi Ron welcome to the forum
Man I'm happy to know I'm not the only one under pressure, I have to build a whole new house including a new kitchen!:stunned:
Still the GT gets a new house too:thumbsup:

Welcome Ron and hope you love yours as much as I love mine, this of course can mean the car or/and the wife ;-) As for putting "stuff" in it a female friend of ours once said, "As long as you have room for a toothbrush and a thong" I started wearing thongs the very next day! Pause for mental image followed by a series of throwing up noises - Whatever you end up with for trim, colour, engine, transmission etc, I'm sure it will take a lot to wipe the grin from your face once you are behind the wheel.

Back