HELP: Broken tranny mount

to all, see images, this is my CAV serial no. 102, roush 427IR, RBT ZF tranny. the images are looking towards the rear of the car, taken above the tranny. note the cracks radiating from the lightening holes both left and right.
has anyone seen this before, any fixes, advice etc
thanks in advance
cal

Attachments

• IMG_7436[1].jpg
    IMG_7436[1].jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_7438[1].jpg
    IMG_7438[1].jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 330
I have an early car which doesn't have anything at all under it. It appears to be a skid plate or someting like that which wouldn't have any pressure on it. If it didn't have pressure, the only reason that I could think it would crack is from vibration. I would try to find out for sure if it is stress related or vibration related, fix that too, or you will be back to where you are now.

Pat

Supporter
I'm with Tom, something isn't right. I'd brace the transmission and pull the transmission subframe and get the mounts welded with reinforcement and then insure you have the transmission and motor mounts properly aligned. Then insure you have the proper flex in the transmission rubber mounts. (Some use hockey pucks). If the stock rubber mounts are degraded, that may be the source of the vibration induced failure.

Attachments

• CAV Trans Mount.JPG
    CAV Trans Mount.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 235
sirs, we are going to pull the subframe, reinforce and re install. on closer inspection, the design of the subframe was a crack looking for a place to happen. the tranny mount was placed on the edge of the lightening hole. poor design, or maybe a poor install. either way we will significantly re inforce the subframe.
thanks
cal

Back