Help in bypassing wiper parking function.

Superformance MK1 here. My windshield wiper parks right in front of my field of vision. Not cool on the race track. How can I bypass the park function and just be able to flip the switch off and park it wherever I want, like up and away?

Thanks

When I did track days I just removed the wiper arm completely. One set screw. Otherwise I had problems with the wiper starting to lift off the windshield at speed.

I believe the park function is internal to the wiper motor, based on electrical contacts that rotate with the motor/arm. The motor has a constant 12v (probably switched on with ignition via a relay), as well as a second input to tell the wiper motor to make one revolution back to the park position via a brief voltage, or to keep spinning via a constant voltage. This second voltage could be intermittently applied via a timer for an intermittent wipe.

You could put a switch on the constant 12v, which is probably via a relay, flipping this off would stop the wiper immediately where it is sitting (we've all done this in our daily drivers when it's raining and we stop and park, turn off the vehicle - lo and behold the wiper stops right there on our windscreen. As soon as we turn the ignition back on, it rotates back to the park position via the constant (hot in run) 12v.

If you are having an issue of the wiper parking in the wrong position, simply remove the wiper arm mechanism from the motor splined output, turn the wiper motor off so it returns to its parked position, and reattach the wiper arm to the splines exactly where you want the wiper to sit every time it parks.

Last edited:

Glenn M

Supporter
If you are having an issue of the wiper parking in the wrong position, simply remove the wiper arm mechanism from the motor splined output, turn the wiper motor off so it returns to its parked position, and reattach the wiper arm to the splines exactly where you want the wiper to sit every time it parks.

NOOOOOOOOO!

If the motor parks, for instance, fully right (as you look at the car) and you want the arm to park fully left, if you put the arm fully left, when you turn the wiper on the motor will next go left and wipe your arm and blade across the body work.

NOOOOOOOOO!

If the motor parks, for instance, fully right (as you look at the car) and you want the arm to park fully left, if you put the arm fully left, when you turn the wiper on the motor will next go left and wipe your arm and blade across the body work.
Good point, I should have clarified that, some things are too obvious to mention. I should have stated that this is for fine-tuning the park position. The motor is just a dumb machine that makes a loop back to the park position. I forget that there are car buyers on this forum, not just builders!

^ I'd guess this could also be accomplished by rotating the gearbox output flange 180 degrees on the output shaft, and moving the input shaft of the wiper arm about 90 degrees. Though I can't recall if the gearbox output flange is welded or bolted to the output shaft.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Here is the process for reversing the park position:

Attachments

• SB-19 (0) SPF WIPER ARM PARK POSITION REVERSAL.pdf
    661.4 KB · Views: 112

D. Nye

Lifetime Supporter
I'm not sure which manufacturer a SPF uses however if I was looking at this issue I would start by looking at the wiring connection on the wiper motor. My motor has three wires. One is hot all the time, this is the park wire, one for low speed and one for the high speed. In my case all I have to do is interrupt the constant hot wire and the motor will stop any time I switch the power off from slow or high speed.

Again not sure this will work with your wiper motor.

Back