HELP! RADIATOR LEAK!

Rad leaks significantly when car warms up, but can't locate it. Friend did a presure check and said there was a leak. Pulled rad and no leak. Does it have to be under pressure to show? cb

Chip,
Sometimes leaks occur only under the proper conditions, heat, pressure, etc.
Most auto parts stores carry dyes for just such an occurence. Even a small leak is
easily detected, as the dyes are bright fluorescent colors.
I hope this helps locate the source of your problem.

Good luck!

Bill

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Chip,

All radiator repair facilities must have a system of pressurising their repaired radiators prior to delivery. I would suggest that you first take the radiator to your nearest facility and if this does not show a leak than take the car for a system test.

We test all vesels in house now and have a system of bungs and a large water tank.

Best wishes,

Robert

G

I am about to replace my radiator with a new one as the original rad I have is about shot to peices after 10 years of being on the road and in competition. Next week is the anniversary on being road legal for 10 years! Don't think the wife will take that as an excuse for a party ...

Anyway about 4 years ago I drove about 150 miles to a competitve event. Upon arrival there was steam issuing from the radiator. I wasn't going to miss the event so sent Wendy down to the nearest garage and bought some Radweld solution and bunged it in. Hasn't steamed until yesterday (a day at Donnington circuit). Now there are pro's and cons for using this stuff and if you are at the start of ownership it has to be recommended to find the leak and cure it properly but if like me you are caught away from home with a problem it will cure minor leaks. Some may say it should never be used but I have had no problems using it at all.

Just another option to consider.

Malcolm

If it is of interest I also have never run with a grill/mesh over the rad opening. Once a year you need to comb out dead bugs etc from the radiator!

FOLLOW-UP: Picked my radiator from a rad shop. WAS a small hole in it. They patched it. Now back in it goes and see how it does-here's hoping... chip in Atlanta

Back