UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f.jpg
f0e59b82-7786-4a4d-aa5d-cd40f40bccf4.jpg
cb0c3b95-6b11-4d32-89ab-bfb632fda89a.jpg
02b13fce-85b9-4477-907e-e9511ac3b049.jpg
MDA GT40.

This is my first replica so I am open to any advice, do's, dont's etc.

The car was built by an Engineer out of the Gulf, hence the paint job. This I may change as although I like it, I do find it a little gimmicky.

The chassis is a MDA GT40.

Powered by a V8 Ford 302 stroked to a 347 fuel injection making 450hp. Built by Mike Huddart - I am told this is a good thing.

Quaiffe gearbox with LSD.

Willwood brakes all round, Lamborghini hand brakes system.

Full roll cage.

Knock on wheels.

Anti roll bar upgrade.

I would like to fit the Gulf style rear arches, what do I need to do? Is it a case of fitting the arches supplied by Tornado or Southern GT etc and fitting some 12" rims and tires to suit. Or is there more involved?

What is a good set up for track use? I will occasionally use the car on the street however I live in Guernsey where the roads are smooth and the speed limit is 35mph - don't laugh!!

Id like to run straight pipes, has anyone done this?

Are there any recommendations as to where I should get parts? I need the following -

Gulf Arches and wheels to suit
New dash
Seats - Unsure if I should change to the original style with no headrest and brass buckles or go for a carbon fibre no padding highback seat.
Stalk style door mirrors

Thanks in advance

Jack

Shaun

Supporter
Beautiful car Jack, will be the same colours as mine (when I finish it!!) and the spec is similar, stroked 301 with EFI.
And do I spy a Cobra as a backup car??
35mph eh!! 1st gear will get a lot of use :)
Mick at Southern GT is my source for parts as I am building one of his and he is a gold mine of knowledge, as is this forum, could not do without it.
Cheers

Beautiful car Jack, will be the same colours as mine (when I finish it!!) and the spec is similar, stroked 301 with EFI.
And do I spy a Cobra as a backup car??
35mph eh!! 1st gear will get a lot of use :)
Mick at Southern GT is my source for parts as I am building one of his and he is a gold mine of knowledge, as is this forum, could not do without it.
Cheers

Hi Shaun

Thank you for the info. If i get stuck ill call Mick.

Look forward to seeing yours.

Best

Jacj

Mike Pass

Supporter
Welcome Jack,
I know the car. Being an MDA it was built by Mark Sibley. He is now GTRacing and will be useful as a source of parts and information.
The chassis is the later type and they handle well. Fitting the slim megaphones is possible but most tracks now have a noise limit so the open pipes will be way too loud. For track use the tyres and brakes take a beating. Be careful with a roll cage driving without a crash helmet. Ensure that there is a wedge at the front of the bar and lots of suitable padding to protect your head from hitting a hard round steel bar.
Run the car as is at first and make any changes that you feel are needed as you go along.
Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Welcome Jack,
I know the car. Being an MDA it was built by Mark Sibley. He is now GTRacing and will be useful as a source of parts and information.
The chassis is the later type and they handle well. Fitting the slim megaphones is possible but most tracks now have a noise limit so the open pipes will be way too loud. For track use the tyres and brakes take a beating. Be careful with a roll cage driving without a crash helmet. Ensure that there is a wedge at the front of the bar and lots of suitable padding to protect your head from hitting a hard round steel bar.
Run the car as is at first and make any changes that you feel are needed as you go along.
Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike
Thanks for the info.
i started removing checker plate that has unfortunately been used everywhere to cover hatches and have now ended up with a very stripped down car. I can’t believe some people can cut so many corners when building a car. Especially when the previous owner who almost complete the build took so much time and care on the build.

Hi Mike
Thanks for the info.
i started removing checker plate that has unfortunately been used everywhere to cover hatches and have now ended up with a very stripped down car. I can’t believe some people can cut so many corners when building a car. Especially when the previous owner who almost complete the build took so much time and care on the build.
Jack your assumptions are totally infallible and you should choose your words carefully. The original owner is known within these echelons and will remain nameless. In the meantime crack on with your rebuild/refurbishment, it’s looking good and remember this forum isn’t there to point fingers but to discuss the glory of the GT40

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Looks like you are well into creating a project from a perfectly good car, alas my steer had I seen this thread earlier would have been to drive it for at least a summer and then decide what you want to do. Adding the width of the gulf arches albeit perhaps aesthetically pleasing will not necessarily make for a better driving car.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Hard to make use of a rear view mirror as well. If one is into the history and knows it well, that that is a nice car.
If you want to do your thing, with respect, go for it

Ed McClements

Supporter
@GTGeorge @Joules5 @bill kearley

Don't worry - Jack has another thread on here detailing his rebuild of this car:-

Back